Eggcrate Foam for studio

E

ethernine

yo i am done with my label studio

now here come the soundproofin

that means more more money damn....
i was at guiter center and asked that sh*t cost to much my studio is really f*kin big. my mic booth is very big alone i will be spendin new keyboard or module money for the whole studio to be foamed up nope i want do it lol well i might have too

my qeston is can i use the eggcrate foam they use on beds ?

i notice acoustic foam is 2'' thick
where the bed foam i seen was 3" thick
now my smaller studio i had a few years ago had the foam from the carpet it worked fine but i was usein a 8track makein demos now i have a label and we make pro music i really did not care how the 8track studio sounded i was just startin out but now i need pro sh*t so is it the same cause it looks the same
or should i just get the foam from guitar center?

I've heard people talking bout this before but I don't know if it works though.

In my experience, eggcrate foam (and carpet foam, for that matter) just absorbs the very high frequencies, while doing next-to-nothing about the mid-highs and the midrange frequencies. So your room sounds boomy and dead at the same time. Not a good combination.

There are cost-effective measures you can take, especially with bass traps. You can get rolls of pink insulation from your hardware store, and stack them up into cylinders in your corners. They make quite good bass traps. You can put them into 32-gallon garbage cans and paint the cans if you want them to look a bit nicer. (Or hide them in a corner with fabric stretched in front.)

The crucial part here is midrange, and I haven't seen eggcrates or mattress foam that addresses this, sadly.

-Hoax

Check out foambymail.com for the best prices.

Yes the mattress foam is almost identical in high freq treatment as the comparable auralex 2" HOWEVER the mattress stuff doesnt have any fire retardent in it and can be on the dangerous side.

As Creul said bass traps are also an important part of the overall treatment.

BTW, these are acoustic treatments not soundproofing. That is a whole other subject.

The egg crate foam is very low density. You can usi it, but its not that eficient, what you can also try is the higher density packing foam that they use in shipping to absorb the lows

It should be fine to soundproof against high freq.s' but for the lower freq.'s you need much denser material.

I got a few 3'x 6' pieces of bed foam for $7 a piece at Target

i used the egg crate for acoustic but like mention before

your going to need something else for sound proffing

if you took time to have a nice booth done i would just use some of the ghetto methods mention and have a goal of putting the real deal up their within a year.

save yo chips.

Sound proofing CAN be done with egg crate, blankets, soundboard (type of wood) and some comforters. Also, unless you buy a vocal booth already made...DO NOT try to record in a cramped area. You don't want the room to be completely dead either. All that and a good setting on a gate will go a long way.

na i can't have no ghetto sh*t up its for my record label man i have professional people comein there to work lol

i want go with a good look for my studio
but the foam cost to damn much its only f**kin foam damn i remember i help one of my guys build his label studio and we got the foam from home depot but them azzholes don't sale soundproof any more but thinks to all who help im just gonna but the sh*t from guitar center

say... if you just wanted to record vocals and keep down outside mic noise, would the eggcrate work if you were allowing all the music to be monitored thru the headphones? I know its not really soundproofing, but on a gettofabolous budget, would it do for inhome recording?

Back