Edirol UA-1000 vs. Digidesign DIGI002

Wow. Edirol seems to be a subdivision of Roland, lower quality more entry level stuff whereas Digidesign (makers of the digi002) makes very high quality equipement often used in pro studios. You are muuuuuuuch better off looking into the digidesign unit in my opinion.

I dont know of the edirol unit u mentionned but im sure there is a pretty big price difference. And if im not mistaked ediros highest end unit is USB 2.0 whereas the 002 is FW.

the edirol costs 1000us$ which is cheaper than the Digi002. but i am not looking for the cheaper in that case, i am looking for the better quality.

Yo Ralph Iam looking at the same product. U-1000. Did you decide which one you would buy. What attracted me to the 1000 is it was the only pre amp/sound card that had a A-Dat output.

endoraver said:
And if im not mistaked ediros highest end unit is USB 2.0 whereas the 002 is FW.

Is fire wire and USB that much of a difference? Is the quality deminished?

As far as I know...

Firewire allow for faster and more data transferring...

If money is no matter, get the 002!!!

300 additional $ wont matter if the DIGI002 is worth it, but to my knowledge USB2.0 Is the fastest. this is the debate of the century for me!!!
Digi002 vs. UA-1000

the digi002 is more expensive but it comes with protools

Stupid Question: Is ProTools Mac only?
I think it is but not sure.

And where did yall see the Digi 002 for $1000.00 US ???

Last edited by a moderator:
xtraclip.com said:
Stupid Question: Is ProTools Mac only?
I think it is but not sure.

And where did yall see the Digi 002 for $1000.00 US ???
No. There is Pro Tools Le software for both Windows XP (or lower) and MAC OSX (or lower).

Now that I found out I can get PT for PC Id rather pay an extra 300 and get the Digi 002. But nobody awnsered me if the preamps were good on the 002?

xtraclip.com said:
Now that I found out I can get PT for PC Id rather pay an extra 300 and get the Digi 002. But nobody awnsered me if the preamps were good on the 002?
Some people like them, some people don't. You just have to listen for yourself. If you don't like them you can always buy a better preamp.

I don't remember too well but firewire still offers advantages over USB 2.0 despite being around for a while before USB 2.0.

From what I remember, Firewire is better at transmitting data in two directions. While USB 2.0 streams data going in one direction at a time.

Check this out:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/usb20vsfirewire/

hard drive operation is very intensive, so that comparison should give you a good indication.

good lookin for the article.

"Each bus has its advantages and disadvantages. The maximum speeds are almost equal. And each bus has already occupied a certain market niche. "

I dont think it really matters when it comes to midi and signal processing. I was only looking at the UA-1000 because its pc comp. and the direct ADAT output. How is an ADAT usually connected. Do the they use trs 1/4 jacks or comp ports.

Back