E, Bb and B on my bass guitar sound "boomy"

wreckd

When i play E (open) Bb and B on my low E string they sound incredibly bassy and not warm and round like the other notes. I tested it through headphones and they sound fine, so i have to assume the problem is in my room acoustics, right?

I'm in a small square room 2620mm W 2950mm D 2660 H (8'7x9'8x8'7 approx). I've two acoustic foam panels, one on my left wall (when facing speakers/computer) and one behind my computer. I guess my logic was to not deaden the room totally, but control a portion of the reflection.

I find it interesting that 3 notes on my bottom string resound stronger than the rest when played at the same velocity.

I read in mixing with your mind, when finding where to set up drums in a room to record you can use the floor tom and walk around to dif parts beating the drum to find where certain frequencies resonate, how would i apply that to finding how to acoustically treat my room? Is that even possible? Can i put foam in certain places so that those notes on my bass won't resound louder than the rest?

Any help/advice you're able to offer is greatly appreciated

You need bass trapping, not foam. And LOTS of it a room that size.

All four corners, floor-to-8' high at a minimum. You could triple that (upper corners where the wall meets the ceiling and where the floor meets the wall) and it wouldn't be too much.

A few sites that have very usable information -

www.realtraps.com
www.gikacoustics.com

and a neighbor of yours -

www.johnlsayers.com Some very nice "DIY" corner traps there that might be right up your alley.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems obvious now... so small room = ultra reflective as their is nowhere for the frequencies to go except round and round?

Is this what you mean by bass trap?

australis_3D.gif

http://www.innovativemusic.com.au/Australis.htm

More like GIK 244's or RealTraps. Foam isn't dense enough (and in that case, large enough) to really hit the spot.

Back