Dual Sound Card Setup

J

JadeWolf324

i just bought the M-audio USB Quattro. and im quite happy with it. but i also have a SBLIVE 5.1 Platinum in my studio box. so heres my question:

the quattro has 4 I/O's i want to have my mixer send out its channels through the In's for recording but i want to send the Out's back to my mixer channels so that i can record things off of my PC that i have (Digital Samplers and what not). is this possible?

i also want my SBLIVE to work as a Playback sound card (ie: it can play everything that is recorded but it isnt necessarily being sent to be recorded.)

i want the quattro to handle all the stuff with recording and my SBLIVE to just deal with playback.

can someone offer some strategies for this?

As far as I know there are no programs that will allow you to do that.

If you disable monitoring of what you are recording, you should be able to use your quattro for recording and playback if you loop the signal back to the quattro. Be careful with creating a feedback loop though. Although that is what you will be doing, you will be killing the signal before it can go from the input back to the output.

well essentially what i want is:

keep the SBLIVE as my playback and use my quattro as a recording source.

is that possible?

i think i figured out it could work if i sent the monitor output from my quattro to the line in on my SBLIVE..ill give a few things a shot but most likely i will just use seperate speakers or split line the ones i have to both sources.

as of right now. the SBLIVE is the playback output. but i cant hear what the quattro is recording while its being inputed through the quattro. the only way i can do that is if i plug headphones into one of the outputs and press the direct monitor button (it works without that as well..that just bypasses the app for the original signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonar supports what you are trying to do as long as both cards will support the bit depth and freq you are recording at. But even then that won't give you input monitoring which is what you seem to really be after.

But don't feed one signal into another card. You are asking for problems.

Inside Sonar you can select the Quatro for recording and the SB for playback.

Most soundcards don't do too well with input monitoring even when you get the delay down below 10 ms. Even that can bother some people.

i think my solution is this:

my quattro has direct monitoring which has ZERO latency. i have that on always by default. so what i will do is send my two outputs for the two lines into a 2 male - 1 male converter and then into the line in on my SBLIVE playback card. i think that should work fine and then there would be no latency. the direct monitor switch is used if u want to take the output signal away from the computer completely.

I'm not sure that you need to do all that.

I'm using a Soundblaster and an M-Audio Delta 44.

Before, I used the Soundblaster as a default playback device (basically for gaming) and the Delta as default record device (better quality).

As time goes by, I just use the Delta.

Is there any particular reason you want to use your SB for playback? Playback from the M-Audio will be clearer and more accurate.

What software are you using? As Tim20 said, Sonar will support multiple sound cards, but other software may not. Tell us more!

-Hoax

i want the SBLIVE to be playback because my stereo utilizes all 6 jacks of my stereo...where the quattro does not. so if i just do a line in like i want, every program will support it. and i can have my full stereo.

makes sense doesnt it?

Makes sense in a way. But the people who will listen to your music... will they be listening this way? Or will they be listening with 2 speakers?

It also makes sense to think about it like this.

It's not about what makes it sound best in the studio. It's about what makes it sound best in the boom boxes and Walkmans (Walkmen?) and car stereos of the people you're trying to reach.

-Hoax

i deal with panning alot, and therefore i need left and right to assimilate into one audio file..and thats merely for monitoring with recording. after its done recording, i can hear it through my surround sound card.

If your final mix is in 2 channels, that makes no difference.

Everyone else would stil hear the file with 2 speakers in surround setups unless simmulating surroud.

Back