Dual Monitor Help PLZ!

jcproductions

Hey,

Whats going on people. Ive recently decided that i would like to have two monitors as part of my set up. Ive decided that reason would be a lot easier to move about this way, plus for a few other things..

Basically i dont know how to set this up. Ive been told that if my graphics card looks like this
http://www.dansdata.com/images/xabre/conns500.jpg
with one blue and one white then i can run two monitors. My graphics card looks exactly like that, and the one monitor i've got at the moment runs through the blue one.

So do i have to buy a specific type of monitor to plug into the white input or do i have to buy a specific adapter that i plug in.

Any help would b appreciated..Cheers people

thats just a normal vid card, i dont think its gonna run dual, your gonna have to buy either a vid card with dual output, or go buy a pci vid card and plug it in, then you can run dual, and after setting it up, you need to go to control panel and select what kinda dual screen your going to run

this is confusing. after googling it the only thing i felt pretty certain about was that a graphics card like that can support it.

i mean that is a normal vid card my man, it has dvi, s vid, and a normal pin connection vid output, so i dont think it will work, but i guess its worth a try, you can get a pci vid card for pretty cheap

i have the same situation and it works

buy a specific adapter that you plug in to the white plug and then connect your blue monitor cable to the adapter and it will work

Yeah thats a standard video card that gives you the option to run either a standard VGA(analog) output or a DVI(digital) output.....

I just set up a dual monitor output in my lab and what you need is a video card that supports Dual Monitor Output. Check out visiontek dot com.
I got my card from Best Buy for about 50 dollars and it works real good.I use it with Pro Tools.I have my Edit in one monitor and the Mix in another.

thats what i tried to tell him, refresh said theirs an adaptor that will makeit work? news to me, but for real, you either need a 2nd one or one single vid card that supports dual monitoring, your vid card is nothing special, you just have 3 vid output options, and if you had more then one monitor connected, one of the connections would be proprietary and take over and be your only vid output

yo thanks for your help people...i figured it out, and i just bought the adapter to plug into the DVI port so it makes it have 2 VGA's..bought a monitor an hr ago and im rolling now...

thanks again

nice! i might have to check into that adaptor. Where did yabuy it at? how much? and whats it called?

i live in uk..bought it from a shop called maplins, but i fink amazon sell it aswell..

Its just a DV/I to VGA converter i think...if you have a graphics card like the one i showed above then it basically fits into the WHITE port and allows you to plug the same into it as you would in the BLUE port.

Are you able to get 2 different things in each monitor or just the same thing in both monitors?

ohh yea, great question mista ree, thats what i was worried about, not the fact that you can actually hook two monitors up, but i was concerned he might not get 2 different video outputs, like a true dual monitor setup has

good to see your up and running...its dope running dual monitors right?

yea it is, dual is awesome, im gonna set it up, because i rewire, so reason on the right and FL on the left, soooooo easy

jcproductions said:
i live in uk..bought it from a shop called maplins, but i fink amazon sell it aswell..

Its just a DV/I to VGA converter i think...if you have a graphics card like the one i showed above then it basically fits into the WHITE port and allows you to plug the same into it as you would in the BLUE port.
You didn't state what type of graphics card you have but with one DVI connector and one VGA most normal GFX cards support dual screen straight out of the box. The cheapest cards come with DVI/VGA and the slightly more expensive one s with dual DVI.

its been part of windows since 98 i think to be able to support dual monitors, and that adapter allows you to plug two monitors in...The only thing i can't do which im not sure if you can with the dual graphic card is have sumthing across the two screen...like watch a movie through both screens stretched...

but yea dual is dope, looks dope aswell...very happy....got a 22 inch and a 19inch set up...think im going to buy another 22....

jcproductions said:
but yea dual is dope, looks dope aswell...very happy....got a 22 inch and a 19inch set up...think im going to buy another 22....

ha ha..yeah this was the first thing I wanted to do also..get bigger displays!
I'm able to stretch the entire Pro Tools edit window across both monitors.Its looks sick with the piano roll scrolling to the next monitor.

Gutty502 said:
yea it is, dual is awesome, im gonna set it up, because i rewire, so reason on the right and FL on the left, soooooo easy

dam i never tried rockin it w/reason.I gotta do a Reason session now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back