Drummachines

The Boss series is decent. The Dr.5 goes for a little over a hundred used. I sold mine for $150 not too long ago.

But really, it'd be nice to go straight for an mpc if you really want a drum machine sampler. An emu MP7/XL7 would be good if you want drum machine and rom sounds.

it seems like almost everyone i've met cut their teeth on a Boss drum machine. you can pick up a used DR5 or DR660 pretty cheap used. alesis sells an SR16 for about 150. Zoom also made a good drum machine a few years ago. not sure if they still make em or not.

Alesis HR-16 drum machines are VERY cheap. You see them on eBay for between US$20-80 depending on condition.

The drum sounds are not that good, but the machine is cheap and intuitive to use. It will help you learn a lot of the elementary drum programming things like adding swing to drums and tapping out simple drum patterns.

And when you get better, and get sick of the drum sounds you can connect the HR-16 via MIDI to a cheap rackmount sampler and use it to sequence the sounds on the sampler.

how far do you want to take it?

if you can get a software that has a virtual drum machine and you can use a midi keyboard to control it do it.

other wise MPC 2000XL and the recent versions.

or get one of recent those synth. workstation where you get builtin sequencer,good sounds, load samples or sampling capabilities

Vlad

I like the EMU command stations. They sound really good, but the interface is not convenient. The Boss series drum machines and Korg electribes are a piece of .....

sleepy said:
The Boss series is decent. The Dr.5 goes for a little over a hundred used. I sold mine for $150 not too long ago.

But really, it'd be nice to go straight for an mpc if you really want a drum machine sampler. An emu MP7/XL7 would be good if you want drum machine and rom sounds.

so the mp7 does come with the mo phatt sounds????/

it does come with the mo phatt soundsthe difference is one is a rack module and the other is the module with sequencer and all.its like lets ay the triton and the triton rack.one has a sequencer one doesnt

Its a beast to learn! Took me quite a long time to be familiar with it. That's the only thing I don't like about the command station: they are not particularly user friendly, but the sounds are first class! Especially the drum sounds -- they smoke! Unfortunately I never found a high hat sound which I'd like, but the rest is awesome!

Here's some beats you might wanna listen to (the drums are exlusively the XL7):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/giganovamusic.htm

i just got my mp7 last week and just flipping throught the manual(300some odd pages)ive been able to lay something down nothing to fancy but im getting there the sequencer is pretty much like fl you can realtime record your sequence or use the step or even grid sequencing.i agree with giganova the sounds re great the feel is nice its just to get a complete track done you do need alot of reading done in the manual.but the work flow so far isnt to bad. the only thing that it doesnt do is sample , which in my case i dont care cause i can use samples in reason rewire it into cubase while syncin the mp7.im very happy with my purchase,great little box.

the mp-7 was my first piece of equipment and imho it's great

i wouldn't say that it's difficult to use and i got pretty fast into using it properly (but you see that it wasn't so easy for giganova, but i guess that depends on the person using it)

but i admit (see my usertitle) i DO read manuals and if you do so, then you'll see what this machine is really capable of and you get into it pretty fast..

in the mp-7 you have the mo'phatt rom installed (mo' phatt --> mp), the xl-7 uses the extreme lead rom and the px-7 the protean drums rom..

Back