Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Programming - Studio Advice

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey All...

Kinda new around these parts as far as posting but been a lurker since before the name change.

I am currently looking to do an addition to my studio.

I sequence with a RM1x and software (cubase cakewalk).
    Unfortunately the RM1x does horrible drums.

What I wanted was an EASY way to set up some beats.

I was thinking about picking up a Korg ES-1 but the 32khz sample rate scares me.

The purpose of this is just to be able to step program some beats and not have to worry about setting up key groups or making sure the sampler is firing the right key for the drums. I guess I could suck it down and use cubase to sequence it out...

My gear list is here
    http://www.ketadream.com/main_studio.html

So the questions is, should I just suck it down and screw with the keygroups or sequence in cubase.

Is the ES-1 an option and will the 32khz kill me?

Does anyone know of any other quick drum solutions that are quality...

Thanks
    nice setup you have there.....make sure that the joint dont blow up on you with all your wires everywhere.....but it's nice. but anyway......ask KasioRocks or Mano1.....they always on point with their stuff.......

Thanks

Heh!

HA! you should have seen the wires before the patch bay.

The ones that are running now are into the bay and into the mixer I cant figure out what to do with them, plus I have 4 midi lines comeing out of the 8x8

The mess of wires on the stand are just there for when I patch my effect routes through the patch bay.

Any sugestions on better ways to run cable's?
    I built the home studio without any prior knowledge of how to wire and do things (the patch bay was a ***** to set up)

Thanks
    Just to clarify a bit are you saying that the drum sounds on the RM1X are no good or that it's not tight enough? 'Cos if it's the former couldn't you just use the RM1X to trigger samples on your E-mu ESI? That way you would be able to use it as a step sequencer to get your loops going, but wouldn't be stuck with the on-board sounds.

As for the Korg, I've never used one (but the other Electribe stuff is cool) but you might lose some top end presence at 32kHz, I guess you'd have to hear it and decide for yourself - check out hat and cymbal sounds. Looking at your set-up though it seems a bit extraneous. You've got 2 sequencers (soft and hard) and a sampler that you can set up drum kits on, with, I would guess, all the functionality of the ES, so why spend the money on another toy? (I don't mean 'toy' in a pejorative sense, it's just what I call new bits of studio kit).

Hope this helps and please post what's wrong with the RM1X 'cos I was thinking about getting one now that their price is dropping 2nd hand.

KasioRoks

Thanks
    i use an rm1x in my studio as a sequncer for my sampler and synths and find the sequencing very tight. i am using only hardware though and have it slaved to a 909. the drum sounds on the rm1x are fairly weak though, there are some nice sounds hiding in there but the kicks are poor.
    i use a selction of drum machines for my beats including a 909, an 808, a 606, a novation drumstation and alesis hr16 an B. the roland programming interface is the best by a mile and the 909 has the ability to program an external instument using its stepsequencer through midi although the annoying problem that you cant switch between external and internal sequencing without stopping it, you would also be able to map the drum sounds from your sampler across an octave and then use the 909 to trigger them by selecting the notes and then pushing the buttons. 909s are quite pricey just now and not a full drum solution. you will need to think about what sounds you are wanting to make and then use that to pick a drum machine. i havent used the er1 so cant comment on their performance unfortunately, a drum station has a nice 909/808 emulation using analog circuits for most sounds and can be sequenced fairly straight forward with the strep sequencer on the rm1x, the jomox x-09 is meant to be nice too and has a roland type step program. there are plenty nice drum machines out there though, all with different sounds and features and most of them are failry inexpensive second hand. the casio rz-1 is a nice chicago style drum machine with space for 4 12 bit samples which come out nice dirty though over everything the rolands are the best to program.
    try going to a shop and trying out the er1 and see if it does what you want.

Thanks
    i had the same problem with the rm1x, so i buyd a boss/roland dr. rythm ( dr 770) drummaschine- since then the people are astonished about my percussions.
    FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC
    STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

count the F !

Thanks
    Check this thread for some details from Rich (AKA Dyeone) on how to do as I suggested. Seems like you're not alone!

KasioRoks

Thanks
    yes, its right - the rm1x sequencer is realy a dream, specially the groove-function. but the drum and percusion-sounds are kicked away from the drumz out of the boss by far!
    FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC
    STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS

count the F !

Thanks
    come on you dont even have logic

yeah getting a es-1 seems kind of pointless if you just want it for drums. it blows away everything in that price range though.

i like to know what exactly patchbays are. is it just a set of cables??

i only got a scratch mixer and keyboard hooked to to my sound card, but i hope i will one day have some more so i would like to know what the patchbay does. thanks.

Thanks
    It's just a place to connect wires really.. One way to use them is to connect the outs to your keyboard into the back of the patchbay on one side and then put the in on your mixer, soundcard, whatever into the back of the patchbay also. Then you patch them together in the front... Basically it serves two purposes.. It hides wires and it makes wiring a whole lot easier. Instead of going to the back of your gear to change wire locations, you do it on the patchbay and you don't even have to get up.. assmuming that your patchbay is close of course.

Thread Information