Drinking in the Studio. Do You?

i find that drinking is not a big problem in my studio. although that could be because it is my bedroom!! but nevertheless whenever the homies are there to mess around with some beatz we drink and smoke (herb of course). there hasn't, however, been any trouble with drinking and people getting sick all over the place or getting too rowdy. a few words fo advice: if you allow catz to drink in your studio the best way to deter such unruly behavior is to make sure that your roll dog is a 6' 5" 270 Gym Freak who has been your homie since you were kids and no doubt has your back. the possibility of getting pumelled by a guy like this no doubt prevents any crazy **** from going down. that and we're also pretty peaceful. LOL!!!
:cheers:

That last brings up the unhappy notion that you have to be careful who you let into your studio in the first place. I don't want to roll through any of the oft-repeated horror-stories from the 90s... but suffice it to say if you have thugs in your studio you have to watch out all the time, when you're not there -- and when you are (maybe most when you are. Your gear can be bought again.)

So... be careful who you drink with in the studio. :D

definitely. like i mentioned in my post we're a peaceful bunch. but it doesn't hurt to have an enforcer...LOL!!! given that i work does not mean that i deal with the thuggish element all the time and in fact i know some other catz who work mostly with rock acts and MAN!!! they be telling me the craziest stories. but hey if you can work while drinking more power to you. just make sure you don't drive peeps. stay home and make some beatz instead of going out and making roadkill with y'all aselves.
peace

Cool, another LA person in the house. I pretty much don't let very many people in my studio. If people know you have gear, they can steal it. I'm a paranoid fukk.

true that. i try to keep people who know about my gear to a minimum.

When My studio is completely finish, you will only be able to drink on the couch, which will be set up on the other side of the room.. Nothing (no food, no drinks, no smoking) will be by the equipment.

hey that last awsner is just the way it goes in my studio,
The couch is where nothing of value is at (except the couch it selve) There are only a few places to put your drink for every person 1 drink!

There's one big exception to the rule and that would be me ! :D
I can drink everywhere i want and what i want ! Smoking is not alowed in the studio since i am a non-smoker. Herbs are not alowed being smoked in the studio , but hell it's alowed in the garden, that's not illigal here in Holland :victory:

I have once mixed a track while being pretty drunk and i must say i really laughed the brains out while listening to the recordings the next day ! i had to do it all over again, thank god i backupped before the session :cool: so i don't drink alcohol while making music, i do drink coffee all day long because without it i would never cope with the long days in the studio!
Ow and sex is alowed , only for me, but not on the aqiupement!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, why not just ban all musicians and be done with it? Find me a musician worth recording who doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs...I suspect that you may be S Club Juniors producer!
Cheers! :cheers:

I heard the Christian Rap/Rock Artists even smoke out in their Studio...especially those Christian Reggae Rappers.

To the cats with the studios where you can Drink on the Couch, but NoWhere Else.

I just don't see this working! When you drink you wanna socialize, be active, do stuff, and generally not be bored. I don't see a bunch of drunk guys (yes, Gals too) sitting around, getting Drunk, and staying put like well trained mutts on the couch.

And of course, if you are drinking too, you'll be loosened up, and will deal with it. Probably won't even noticed it.

JM2Cs

:cheers:

I think the couch rule is a good compromise. (I also used to adhere to the "engineer exception" -- I could drink anywhere. And at least once I spilled a big glass of fruit juice in front of a client. I just turned to her and said "See, that's why I don't allow you to drink in here."

I've seen studios that actually painted a line about 5 feet around the console area and made that the no drink, no food zone.

Smoking is more insidious. Smoke tends to stick to everything -- especially that gold-sputtered mylar diaphragm in your precious new condensor mic or inside the fine german/japanese/british engineering in your analog tape machines. And anyone who's ever cleaned a "bong" knows that it ain't just cigarette smoke that's sticky. :D

I allow drinking and smoking and whatever else in my studio. Generally the people I allow in my studio are trusted enough that they won't do silly things like put a can of beer on top of a synth. When I'm DJ'ing I have to have an ashtray right by the decks. It's the law in my studio.

Recently tho I got very pissed off with my housemate....She came in the studio to talk to me about something while smoking a cigarette. She had to do something with both hands and for reasons best known to herself, balanced a LIT cigarette on the edge of the one of the keys on the Roland JP8000. I went absolutely bloody mental. Not only was the risk of 'key melt' imminent, but also ash in the contacts etc etc. She couldn't understand why I nearly had a nervous breakdown!!!! Silly moo.

Lots of weed in the studio makes it a cozy home environment. The MPC and big bag o weed are like king and queen, throne to throne up in the spot. The muse is then summoned forth to jester the court and spark creation. And to who ever mentioned Holland, yes we all dream of Amsterdam. May the force be with you.:angel:

Back