Drinking in the Studio. Do You?

Zer0PointEnergY

After Reading the 'Smoking in the Studio' Thread. One has to ask, "Is Drinking in the Studio Hazardous?".

This I am Extremely Guilty of. I don't smoke in the Studio, cuz I'm a NonSmoker, but I am Mad Drinker.
GetYoDrankOn

Drinking in the Studio can of course lead to Many Hazardous, and UnWanted Scenarios.

1. Spilling Yo Drank on the Mixer, or Any Other Expensive Piece of Gear. Damn...

2. Unwanted Disputes, which of Course can turn into OutRight Bar Bashing FreeForAlls. Which in turn, Ruins More Expensive Gear.

3. Urinating on Expensive Gear by Intoxicated Artists. This is Naturally more Relevant in the Thrash Metal, and Other Paralell Music Genres. (where this can often be Considered a Compliment) (but has been heard of in the Christian Rap Circle)

4. Even Worse is the Yet is the trying to Pick, Wash, or Clean the Chunks of Vomit from Your Mixer, and or 'Other Expensive Piece of Equipment'. This of Course is Followed up with. "First You Fight in My Studio, then Pi$$ in My Studio, now you Puke in My Studio...so, I'll See You Next Weekend for Another Session!?"
"Alright Cool!"

ok..well maybe not. But as you can see, Drinking in the Studio can be just as Dangerous, if not even more Dangerous then Smoking in the Studio. Whether or not that Mystical, Magical, Yellow Substance is Real or Not...I don't know, I have never Smoked, or had Smokers in My Studio, and have not seen the "Results" of it...

Drinkers, NonDrinkers, Stand Up and Let us Know!
GetYoDrankOn
:cheers:
GetYoDrankOn

With that said, and Done...I'm gonna grab myself Another Beer!

when it comes to my studio and my gear I'm a total nazi :

• no smoking
• no drinking
• no drugs
• no fun
• no nothing
• no no no !

but seriously if you are in my studio you are here to work, if you want a drink go to the pub / bar / wherever....
I don't know, I used to be really tolerant and tried to be cool about it but I lived to regret it, I had a terrible experience with a booze/coke addicted singer and his band, (and for the record I don't drink / smoke / do drugs) after that if you get caught doing anything in my space you'll be taken out and shot in the back of the head :)

WoW...Strict.

I think its a Safe Bet to say that 80 Percent of all Studios allow at least Drinking, and Probably Smoking. Just due to the fact that most Artists are Drinkers/Smokers, and Usually Into Drugs.

I can't follow the No Drinking Rule. :p

yeah, thats a differen't story. where theres Herb, theres Munchies, and where theres Munchies theres Crumbs, in your mixer, and or other Expensive" Piece of Equipment.

no smoking in my studio
no drinking (except me :D )
no s e x (dangerous for the gear around)

i don't have a studio, only my computer and music setup, but so far i've had beer/liquor spilt on my computer keyboard, synth, turntables, floor, etc. adds to the charm :)

well the thing is i find when theres herb most the time my friend and i cant do anything right so we just sit back and relax

…out of interest, doesn't drinking (alcohol that is!) f*ck with your ears anyway, reducing the frequency bands to which you would be perceptive?

I was informed of this my a production engineer when I went to do a band demo many years ago.

As I recall, he did confirm that it was alright to toke on the herb tho…

…I'm not big drinker of alcohol so none goes into my bedroom studio but I am a smoker and I actually find that it doesn't really effect my ability to do anything although it does increase the size of the pile of food wrappers at my feet…

Alcohol = Big NO!!:bigeyes:

Herb = Great bit phat YES!!:victory:

yeah it does Fu*k with your ears. Reminds me of a thread ahile back...I think it was FoE that mentioned Mastering, or Mixing while Drunk.

While it is fun to Drink in the Studio, I've found that I have to go back, and remix everything....hungover, and Sober......

:cheers:

ppl drink on occasion, not much smoking going on ( i got outside ) but ive had sex on the floor once :P

i think the owner of the gear should be able to do whatever he or she wants to...

i was just browsing around and caught this thread...tre interesting

ZEROPOINTENERGY!! why do you capitalize all those words? :)

I get this Comment EveryOnce in aWhile

SomeTimes I do it...sometimes I don't.

I like the Way it LooX.!

You don't see very often...its a way to Stand Out from the Rest in the Virtual World...where EveryBody LooX the Same.

:)

I do all my compostion drunk. I'd like to think you could hear the vodka in my music. I need to do my mastering and mixing sober because I can't percieve high frequencies correctly while I"m drunk. It's funny that someone else notices the same thing. I thought it was just me.

Last edited:
Before I quit drinking in '94 I did a lot of drinking in more than a few studios.

And I'm proud to say I never once vomitted onto a mixing console.

One of my pals, who goes by Monté Vista, has been known to drink a little. Well, a lot. He and his band, Lovingkindness were pioneers in the lounge scene... starting out around 85 or '86 doing your basic lounge-band-from-hell routine... Girl from Ipanema, Scotch and Soda, and The Quest (Impossible Dream) were some of their big faves.

They did a million shows, usually on punk, sometimes on shockrock bills. (A guy in a white suit with a red carnation and an M16 carbine can really scare the hell out of your typ death rocker.)

Anyhow, one night they were playing a wedding reception in a trendy tiki bar in West LA/Santa Monica. Monté had just broken up with his stormy Irish-Latina girlfriend for the 59th time and was drinkin' big.

They were doing a long version of MacArthur Park (there's no other kind unless you skip some verses) and the rave-up in the middle was the money shot for the song. Monté bolted off stage as soon as the verse before the break was done and flew out the back door. The rave up took hold and built to its regular climax... at the last possible instant Monté flew in through the front door and leapt on stage, looking pale, his tie askew and his shirt unbuttoned at the neck. But he had the mic out of the stand and hit his cue by the skin of a hemi-demi-semi-quaver.

Later, I found out he'd had a huge slug of Wild Turkey just before the song started and was fighting the vomit reflex through the whole 6 or 7 minute first part. He managed to get out the backdoor, puke his guts up in the parking lot and get around the building to the front (after the back door slammed closed or something) and back inside in something around a minute.

The mark of a true lounge professional.

:D

Back