Doubts about Panning and Vol

D

Dj Gugue

Hello Guys

My doubt is: How can I use panning WELL ??
because I have many difficulty to use it, and everytime that I panning my music, I think that is all wrong. :/
Also, and about the volume of the synths, everytime that I listen my songs, I think that the drums is loud, and the other sinths is low.. so, when I make changes on the volume, simply don't work, the volume still or very loud or very low ! :/
I use fruityloops, so, anybody can teach me how use both (panning and volume) correctly ?

Thx
:hello:

Gugue,

if your question is specifically about frootiloops then I'm sorry 'cos this aint relevant, if it's not then I hope this is of some help.

The first thing about panning is that you need to listen to tunes that you think do work with headphones. Take one tune and listen to it loads of time seeing if there are certain bits that jump out in one ear. Notice that it's almost certainly not the bass, the kick or the lead vocal. (bass & kicks have loads of energy so this is shared between the two speakers equally - this also gives the track something solid to spread out from). why not the lead vox? I guess people like vocals right in front of them.

Also some sounds seem to surround you, this isn't exactly a panning technique, but pads are often sent via a really short delay (10ms) with no repeats (called ADT or automatic double tracking) and then the original sound is panned hard right and the delayed sound hard left. this gives you a huge sound.

hope this was useful,
KasioRoks

KasioRoks said:

Also some sounds seem to surround you, this isn't exactly a panning technique, but pads are often sent via a really short delay (10ms) with no repeats

Kasio, If you do that manually with a delay, wouldn't you get a flangey sound if it were in mono?

~Tor

www.mp3.com.au/tor

Tor,

Maybe - I may have made a slight error with my delay times -check Robin's answer to the same tip I gave somewhere else.

Sorry for any confusion caused people,

KasioRoks

:monkey:

a little addition

You will never get panning and volume right on headphones. Unless your users use headphones too :D

There is a plug in for VST which simulates stereo for headphones by adding a little of the opposite channel 180deg out of phase.

If you are using speakers it depends on your room. If you are getting early reflections from behind the speakers or slapback from the wall behind your listenning position then reflected sound will combphase through the origional smearing the stereo image.

Also if you have really small speakers and monitor really loud , the speakers will be moving slightly and this will muck around with the high fequencies , which define your perception of location , meaning it will be very hard to get an accurate fix on sounds.

Back