double comp moniters

R

Rayne

I want to use 2 computer moniters:: So you need to have a special videop card to do this?.. or can you set it up in windows?... I'm using windows XP pro... i just want a cheap moniter to run:: I need more space

Please let me know if you figure this out.
And to whoever answers this, can the same thing be done with a laptop and a desktop monitor?
I see in Reason 2, they suggest having 1 monitor for the sequencer and 1 for the modules. THat'd be amazing.
J

i did with windows 98 and 2 monito on a desktop.i had 2 video card of the same brand/model.
Dunno if u can do with a laptop.And i didnt try yet with winME,but iguess u can do the same,also with XP.

Theres some help on microsoft.com for hardware compatibility issues with multiple video cards that you may want to check first.

the easiest way to do this is to get a "dual head" videocard. Mine is a dual head Geforce 2 MX. These cards have 2 monitor outs - very easy.

Another way to do this is to install 2 video cards on your system. For many of us, this is a nice AGP video card, with a crap PCI video card. This can create problems because some motherboard bioses will default to the crap pci card first. Check to see if you bios can force the AGP card to be the "primary display driver"

Once your video adapter(s) are set up (with drivers!), all you do is right click anywhere on the desktop, go to [properties], [settings], and another monitor should be available to activate.

Its quite easy if you know your way through the inside of your computer. Good luck and PM me with any questions!

oh a few more things:

above advice is for win9x machines. I'm not sure about XP, but it should be basically the same.

Certain PC laptops, specifically ones with "Geforce2Go" and "Radeon" chipsets have the ability to stretch your desktop between 2 screens. This is done through the same [settings] window.

All recent mac laptops can do the screen stretching with no problem.

As stated above, you can often do this with 2 video cards. Make sure you research it properly though, otherwise you might run in to driver conflicts. An easier solution is to find a card with dual-monitor ports. I use and Appian Jeronimo Pro. There are cheaper cards available which do the same thing (sorry don't really know any off-hand though). Win2k handles it beautifully and I imagine XP would as well. I can't live without 2 monitors now. I set Cubase up with the arrangement on one monitor and my mixer and VSTi's on the other one.

under win2k at work i use a Matrox dual head card. they are pretty affordable and i get 2560x1024. deffinitely nice with 2 19" monitors.

I see..

it sounds like the ONLY way is to get another video card somehow... I thought I once head that one could "streach desktop" in newer windows OSs.. so it would fit two screens..

I don't think I need an extra screen enough to spend the money..Ii've finally come into some money, but it still isn;t nearly enoguh for everythign!) ...

u could buy a crappy PCI gfx card for about £30 and a refurbished/used monitor for about the same.

i;m thinking about doing this when i have more space to set me gear up in.

u could buy a crappy PCI gfx card for about £30 and

ok,im not saying it wont work,but when i tried doing it with 2 different video cards,it didnt work at all.I say once more,it was on win 98 .So,maybe with XP its another story.
By the way,if somebody did tries that on XP,pls drop a line,i would be somehow interested on doing again myself.

hmm yes you're probably right. i bought an Appian dualhead card for my dad's school (PCI) for about £30 though. i might get one and sacrifice my Geforce - who needs games anyway?

Rayne said:
it sounds like the ONLY way is to get another video card somehow... I thought I once head that one could "streach desktop" in newer windows OSs.. so it would fit two screens..
This is true - newer windows operating systems can "stretch" your desktop automatically (almost - you just have to specify which desktop will be your main one in the display settings) if you have 2 monitors attached. However, you'll need the other video card so that you can physically connect the second monitor...
I don't think I need an extra screen enough to spend the money..Ii've finally come into some money, but it still isn;t nearly enoguh for everythign!) ...
Yes you do. :D 2 monitors rules.

:p
two moniters are that cool huh?.. I'd have to double up on screen wallpapers... ;)

the Matrox family of dual-head cards tend to be the most popular (image quality and stability are superb).

check out the G450 and G550 cards, they should start dropping soon with the parhelia on its way now (they are fairly priced anyhow).

2 monitors are useless if you only have 1 plug on the back of your computer :D

Ok. I'm running XP, on a LapTop. Can I "Stretch" My Screen to Another LapTop Screen? I don't think it is possible, but what do you think?

ThanX.

:cheers:

Zer0PointEnergY said:
Ok. I'm running XP, on a LapTop. Can I "Stretch" My Screen to Another LapTop Screen? I don't think it is possible, but what do you think?

ThanX.

:cheers:
no sorry, Laptop LCDs have no functional inputs, ie: the only thing that can show up on the laptop screen is the laptop itself.

Back