Does bed foam work as good as the other stuff?

Mike Rapper

I was wondering does the bed foam or egg crates work as good as the expensive/official foam? Would it be worth the investment to get the official stuff or not really?

Do they work? yes. As well as specially designed acoustic foam? no.

All materials have an NRC rating which is the amount of sound they absorb vs reflect at different octaves.
Acoustic foam is much denser than ordinary foam which makes it have a higher NRC rating.

Egg crates are not to be compared to acoustic foam as the idea behind using them is to diffuse not absorb.

For best results look into fiberglass insulated panels, they offer an even better NRC rating than acoustic foam.

I was wondering does the bed foam or egg crates work as good as the expensive/official foam? Would it be worth the investment to get the official stuff or not really?

Yep mycbeats is right. Acoustical foam has been designed for the purpose of absorbing sound and the structural makeup, size of the polymers etc differs. I spent a fascinating day at Bradford University where they are researching this type of thing and looking at other types of absorptive material

Egg crate material is much more porous and as a result less dense. sure it will work but not to the degree an Acoustic foam will.

Yes. No. Maybe.

It depends.

As stated previously, acoustic foam is different from open cell foam, but it can be used in conjunction with acoustic foam and other methods such as diffusors and rockwool or acoustic insulation (or even book cases, blankets, and pillows). It depends on your objectives. Foam can handle high-end reflections and ring, but if you have bass issues, you need mass (more mass than foam can give you). You also need to look at the shape of the room, your equipment orientation in it, and maybe even an EQ to deal exclusively with playback issues.

GJ

Back