Do you leave your studio on all the time?

Nope... I shut everything down and cover all the equipment when I'm not using it. Why do you leave your on all the time?

Only time I leave it On is when I am working on a track and decide to turn in for the night. It's a lazy way of doing things rather then saving the work and loading all back up, but it works for me.

(I would be back to finishing the track the following morning)

Besides that, i turn it Off when done working.

Pase that's also important about covering **** up especially a mixer with sliders. Dust can build up and kill it with no prob.

One

Normally I shut down all the equipment. (everything is connected to electricity boxes, so I've only got a few switches to turn off)

Only if I'm working on a track and I have to go to eat I leave everything on. At night everything is always sleeping.

I turn it off when I'm done. One of the reasons why is because I live in California.

It depends, but if I know i wont be in there for a day or two I shut it down.

something to keep in mind that I heard and think is the case is that alot of the big studios and the like leave they're equipment on all the time...with the exception of a computer at times obviously.

they say the only things that should be powered down when not in use is anything with a motor, tubes or fans and the like in them-

Anything with moving parts has a shelf life. There has not yet been a device created that has perpetual motion. By leaving gear on all the time, you shorten it's life. This is true with computers and harddrives as well. Don't let anyone tell you different, they are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ but wouldnt turning it off and on everyday, even several times a day wear out its shelf life even more than just leacing it running?....seems more wear on the gear to me than it just staying on for a week or so at a time-

I was in a small pre-production, demo studio that worked with Geffen, and they had all their stuff on. (It was about 2 AM and the studio was not in use [no, I was not breaking in]).

I don't know if this is usefull or just a superstition.

Back