do i need sub-woofers to go with krk rp5 or any 5inch monitors

qaz

ive read that some of the smaller moniters need sub woofers to go with them, is this the case for the krk rp5 or any smaller monitor? thanks

subs for monitors

from what ive heard on this and other sites you can but its really not recommended because when you mix you get a false sense of what your bass response really is.

It's a matter of preference and room conditioning, if your room is treated properly, you should be able to get an accurate sound. The RP5's have a solid bass response that is better than most 5'' speakers, but an extra sub won't hurt.

You also want to get a sub that fits your room. Sonically, not physically of course :p

Subs are preference, however 5 inch woofers simply do not cut it for professional monitoring. You can't properly hear bass response, so you can't properly eq and mix low end sounds. Then you left wondering why you always gotta run to the car to check your mixes.

6.5inch woofers are better, but nothing is giving you good response unless you're talking $800-1.000+ pricerange 5-6.5 inch monitors. And that ain't no RP5s, lol.

Same with adding the sub. Subs puck up Sub(liminal) bass, not the full sounds of the song. No one realizes how important good monitoring is until they get good monitoring. Until then, I sound crazy when I say you're better off getting a $200 pair of JBL or Sony 8 inch bookshelves.

Just get RP8s it would be the wiser choice...I have mine and I love em but now Im about to sell them to get some JBL LSR4328 monitors with the Room Correction to get the absolute best sound

Last edited:
LilPatBeatz said:
Just get RP8s it would be the wiser choice...I have mine and I love em but now Im about to sell them to get some JBL LSR4328 monitors with the Room Correction to get the absolute best sound

from what i've heard, the "room correction" masks the problem rather than solve it. for the absolutely best sound, youre probably better off investing in room treatment. by the way, the LSR's were one of options when choosing monitors. it was either those, the adam a7s, or the event asp8s. i ended up going with the asp8s, which doesn't necessarily mean it's better, but it suites my needs. if you negotiate hard, and with the right person, guitar center can give you really good prices

I thought you use the subs for the extra bass. Kind of if you're doing a lil john type beat and wanna know how that bass is coming through and will sound in someone's car system woofers. am I wrong? bc if so I might not be getting one like I planned.

daygoduke said:
from what i've heard, the "room correction" masks the problem rather than solve it. for the absolutely best sound, youre probably better off investing in room treatment. by the way, the LSR's were one of options when choosing monitors. it was either those, the adam a7s, or the event asp8s. i ended up going with the asp8s, which doesn't necessarily mean it's better, but it suites my needs. if you negotiate hard, and with the right person, guitar center can give you really good prices

Oh I thought the whole point of it wuz to give you the sound the way its really coming out instead of sounding better or was because of what position or size of room it is in but I might have to go back to the drawing board and research more now

pppppppp said:
I thought you use the subs for the extra bass. Kind of if you're doing a lil john type beat and wanna know how that bass is coming through and will sound in someone's car system woofers. am I wrong? bc if so I might not be getting one like I planned.
It's hard to explain what a sub does, alot easier for you to go test one out. It gives you "More Bass" but no nessesarily "Better Low End Monitoring". Adding a sub when your monitors aren't giving you good bass response to begin with will most likely make mixing your low end more confusing.

But that depends on the way the engineer using them percieves sound. I use a sub in my setup, also use bookshelves and PA speakers. My studio is rigged like a nightclub(so when I play my music in the car or nightclub I get exactly what I expect), but when it's time for me to mix my final product which requires accuracy, everything get's turned off except my event 20/20s that honestly have more than enough bass on their own.

LilPatBeatz said:
Oh I thought the whole point of it wuz to give you the sound the way its really coming out instead of sounding better or was because of what position or size of room it is in but I might have to go back to the drawing board and research more now

when i say "best sound" i mean the clearest sound which is vital when doing precision mixing. sound is measured in frequencies and subs put out low frequencies (whether it's clear/precise or not depends on the subwoofer of course. and i can't define "precise" when it comes to sound because the bar is constantly being raised in terms of audio quality). there are no monitors that "give you the sound the way its really coming out". otherwise everyone would have those monitors. :cool:

Back