Do i Need a D/A converter??????

LeeFields

I just bought a new computer (dual pentium xenon 2.4's with a 1gb of RAM), M-audio's Delta 1010, and Nuendo 2.0.... I do realize that i can make great recordings with this equipment, but i dont really understand that concept of the converters. Will i be okay with what i have? I'm sure they would help a lot, but do i really really need one.?.?.?

High dynamic range (A-weighted measured): D/A 108db, A/D 109db.

No, the 1010 should be absolutley fine

you will be fine

actually when you have a Delta 1010, you have AD/DA converters, where the I/Os are ;)

Most audio interfaces come with built-in interfaces, and some high-end ones studios use do not, and instead have onboard ADAT connection (or equivalent), so studios can choose for themselves the converters they like the best

Many studios might use their digital mixer's converters (I/Os) and connect the mixers directly to their audio interfaces via a digital protocol (ADAT or equivalent)

---

As you can see it's more of a modular architecture then, where the AD/DA box is separate from the audio interface, for sound preference.

But you will be fine with the 1010 :)

take care

-mano

IMO it depends on your monitors, how good your ears are, and how much $$$ you got laying around you want to spend.

If you have a really nice pair of monitors and have good ears (ie have been trying to mix & produce for over 5 years) you will probably hear a difference with a better converter than the Delta. What this means for a D/A converter is that you make better decisions when mixing or you have good conversion if you are sending your signal out of your DAW, then back in (so a really good A/D helps there too).

Also, when talking about converters dynamic range is only one piece of the picture. What it also depends on is how much jitter is introduced in the conversion, which is a function of the clock. If the clock is bad it can start to make the dynamic range meaningless.

I'd say the converters you have now are fine, unless you are at the point in your music you want to spend $1000 for just 2 channels of D/A conversion . . .

Back