Is digital the way to go???

Big Saccs

I use to be a analog guy but lately every piece of gear I have purchased has options for digital outs:

MPC4000
2 CPU's with a 24/96 soundcard and the other emu1212m, one for tracking audio and the other I use for software synths,
2 pod xt pros (bass and guitar)

I have downsized alot and am very happy with my setup at the moment!!]

I feel like the weakest link is the rolls line mixer I'm using to connect everthing...I want to swap out the 24/96 card for either a lynx2 or Rme but until I do that I came across the roland M1000 digital mixer and was thinking about going in this direction and connecting everything up spdif from out the digital mixer into s/pdif of the 24/96....any suggestions???

Not very useful as a mixer. And youre not going to gain that much quality by switching to digital.

Some people swear by analog and some swear by digital. They both have there own ups and downs. If I had to choose, it would be digital for its flexibility/clarity reasons.

Analog users say that they stick with analog because of the warm sound it gives off.

I think the digital realm is pretty solid now and can replicate that analog sound with plug-ins etc.

Most of the equipment you buy will have to be able to intergrate digitally for obvious reasons. I predict that analog gear is slowly becoming obsolete.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Yea I think its safe to go digital, I will keep certain things analog like bass's and drums but thats it.

Last edited:
Analog/Digital, whatever...it's all a matter of preference, personal taste, and what youre comfortable with.

If you have a good song it doesnt really matter which format you use,as long as it's recorded well.

If the song sux, you can record in a million dollar facility and it will still suck.

Peace

Yea I know, I talked to George Clinton one time and he was telling us he did "Atomic Dog" on a 8 tracc...I just want to make sure I'm not going against the gain cause I'm getting tired of spending money on short term pieces, I need to start bulding my studio for the future or atleast products that will expand as things progress...Holla!!!

Yep analog is dead. Next year I read that singers will have S/PDIF outputs and listeners will have S/PDIF inputs.

The writing is on the wall. :)

I heard ya. When it comes to investing in gear, break it up into "recording", "outboard", and "MIDI/instruments". That way you can see how well your money is spent. No one wants their gear to be obsolete in six months. If, by chance, you can afford a recording system such as ProTools, then it will be easier to stay current and on the cutting edge of developments as far as that goes. Of course, with ProTools, it's not the software that kills you, it's the hardware and peripherals.
Vintage tube outboard processors are always a great investment. And if you can add a nice vintage tube mic like a U47FET dammit I'm recording at your place. Can't lose there. With MIDI gear, unless youre a sound designer, you'll have to update gear often especially if what you have isn't expandable which most are nowadays. Cuz we all know that sounds just get played out.

Back