Thread: digital audio recording problem

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey there. I just recently got a Yamaha 01v and am trying to connect its digital coaxial i/o to my delta 1010 i/o so I can record eveyrthing digitally onto my hard drive. I think I have everything sync'd up correctly but am getting clicks and pops in the audio files that I record. I am using the Yamaha as the master and delta 1010 as the slave.

Does anyone know any settings or anything that I may have missed when I was setting this all up. What are the usually sources for crackles and clicks when recording digitally. I appreciate the help.

system:

PIII 1000 512 MB RAM running Windows 2000
    2 20 gig SCSI drives
    M-Audio delta 1010 running latest multiclient drivers
    Yamaha 01v
    Cubase VST 32
    Wavelab 3
    Last edited by Hisham; 11-05-2001 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    are you using a proper digital cable? or have you just slapped in a regular audio type phono lead?

Audio cables are the wrong impedance for digital signals and the data integrity suffers - although they can be expensive - always use cables made specifically for DIGITAL signals.
    Whyyyyy why mm big monkeeee pie. Donkeee go pieee-yieeeee.

Thanks
    yes I am using the proper coaxial cables...

Thanks
    Crackles and clicks sounds a lot like a "slave/master" synch conflict -- particularly if there are lots of them -- and the 1010 sounds ok going into the computer on its own. (Always try to isolate the problem, of course.)

Thanks
    Are you getting pops when you set your sequncer into record and listen to the audio stream ?

If you are then this is a clocking problem. Try slaving the 01V to the computer set as master.

If you only get the pops when recording then this could be a number of problems.

Your hard disk could be fragmented ( defrag it ) or it could be too slow ( try a lower bit depth like 16).

You also have to disable windows from managing your virtual memory. If using 98 ( not sure about 2000 ) right click MYCOMPUTER>Properties and go to the performance tag>virtual memory and deselect "let windows handle my memory" and set your own settings. Set the min and the max at the same number , and make it a generous ammount ( depending on free drive space ).

It is always good to record audio to a seperate hard drive than the one you use for the system ( and therefore virtual memory )

Try to have no background programs running and only have cubase running when you record.

There are so many reasons for audio problems on a PC it is hard to pinpoint it , that is why I eventually swithched to a MAC.

Try these things and ask some more questions if no joy.
    Robin

[url]www.opaic.com[/url]

Underground Funky Dance Label

Thanks
    I figured out what it was...my problem was due to IRQ sharing. I checked my IRQ's and I had 5 different devices sharing IRQ 11 and one of them was the Delta. I went inside and moved the 1010 to another PCI slot and that moved it to IRQ 5 which is the same one as my graphics card but now the clicks and pops are gonna. Nothing left but crystal clear audio.

I still wish I could get every device on my computer on its own IRQ but I guess that is a pipe dream.

thanks for the responses guys.

Thread Information