Digital or Analog Mixers

E

eeaazzee

I'm in the market to buy a 24 trk mixer, and I would like to know which should, I buy digital or analog? And what brand is better, I have a budget of $2,400. I basically do hip-hop, R & B and Alternative

What is your setup? Do you work off a computer? What is your kit list? Do you have a lot of hardware efx and dynamics? These are important issues and the more information you give us the better the advice will be.

Samplecraze is on the money.
I'll give you a picture of what I have...

I use Pro Tols w/ a Digi001 and MPC3000 and Korg T3 ansd two other old skool hardware samplers. For a mixer, I use a Yamaha 01v. It's a digital mixer and it is connected to the Digi001 via an ADAT connection.

I used to have an analog Mackie mixer. I upgraded thinking I would get one thing. It changed my whole set-up, fortunately for the better. But change is something to think about and plan ahead on. Otherwise, you'll spend hours pissed and regrouping.

Peace.

I wanted to give digital a shot so I ended up getting an 02r.

At first, I was thinking that I should have went for another analog mixer for simplicity since I had a tought time with the console for the first few weeks. Partly because I didn't have a lot of time to mess around with it at the time also.

Once I got the hang of the mixer, I enjoyed the flexibility and what I could do just with that. Since I don't use a lot of outboard effects, what I have in the 02r (some reverb/chorus/others, compression, and eq) usually does me pretty well.

Now that I can use the mixer like nothing, I enjoy working with digital even more. I would still consider a great analog board if I found one at a good price though.

It's hard for me to recommend between digital or analog generally. They both have their advantages and shortcomings. You would really have to try it out on your own.

O2R's are really cheap at the moment as everyone is moving to 96kHz sample rates. Grab one and an adat card for your computer and thats all you'll need for mixer and audio interface

Last edited by a moderator:
seye said:
whats the diff between digital n analouge?

Digital transfer datas with 0's and 1's. If it's stored in your computer or even other devices such as minidisks, cd's, dats, etc... it's digital. Analog signals are electromagnitec signals. Analog signals are used by tapes, many video cameras, home phones, etc...

hmm... what i meant was...

whats the diff between a analoge and digital mixer.

While analog mixers can route pretty well, digital mixers allow for slightly more flexibility in routing.

Many digital mixers also have onboard effects. Some are good, some are crap, so it really depends. High-end analog mixers provide automation, but most digital mixers can automate mixes.

The biggest difference comes from the dynamics. Analog signal usually have a lot of headroom. This means that your signal can be pretty hot and your signal will not clip. Although analog does clip also, it will not sound as bad/rough as digital will sound. In digital, when measuring audio levels, anything above 0db will clip.

Analog will often be better at capturing audio subtleties also and analog circuits can make audio sound warmer.

In digital, you are also sonically limited by the quality of you converters, whether going analog to digital or digital to analog. In analog, you are limited by the way that the board was built and the components used.

When doing transfers, digital transfers will not deteriorate. Other than jitter, since digital signals are 0's and 1's, your data will remain the same. In analog, it is impossible to avoid any additional noise being introduced into your audio. While high-end board and mid-end boards are pretty quiet and the difference may not be audible, there will be a difference.

And on and on... this is a fairly big subject. Which is also why people debate on this so much. I didn't even go into bitrates and sample rates. I'll leave it as that.

The biggest difference comes from the dynamics. Analog signal usually have a lot of headroom. This means that your signal can be pretty hot and your signal will not clip. Although analog does clip also, it will not sound as bad/rough as digital will sound. In digital, when measuring audio levels, anything above 0db will clip.
Yeah there is the big downside of digital, a good analog desk will have 120dB of clean signal and then another 12-20dB of useable distortion whereas the digital will have the 120dB (or even more) and then nothing. Its just a matter of getting used to a "new" gain structure for the digital consoles.

The big advantage you missed is that most digital consoles have compressor/limiter/multi dynamics and fully parametric/switchable HP/LP EQ's on every channel, all with full recall.

I can only agree with all the opinions here above. I do know how hard it is hard to choose, isn't it Samplecraze !? :p

I'll go for a digital mixer. Yamaha O2R is a good mixer, you can't go wrong with it. It is very powerful and can do a whole lot if you take your time to learn to use it.
I can sell you a complete one with meterbridge, 24 tracks of tdif and a T.C unity card with M-2000 processor for less than $2400. If you are serious about buying one,...Holla at me.

Don't get the O2R; go for a second hand O2R96 instead (if you can find one); otherwise get a O1V96 for the same reason: the dynamics/EQ/fx seem to be só much better. I think SC will second that.

THM,

Where can you find a used O2R96 ? if you can find one it won't be for $2400.Don't be carried away by the 96 in the O2R96,you are paying Yamaha $4000 or more for the same 96k you'll get by buying an TC finalizer(96k) or an Apogee Rosetta. Don't fall for all those industry marketing gimicks.
Moreover,..How many albums in the industry has been mastered in 96k/24bits ?
I am not saying all this cause I want to get rid of my O2R.This is just a fact that you can check out yourself.

As an 02r user myself, I will say that there's more to the 02r96 than higher sampling rates.

The main improvement in my opinion are probably the pre-amps on the 02r96. While the pre-amps on the 02r are okay, they could have been betterh.

The other thing I don't like is the dynamics processor, it works when used lightly but I don't like what it does to sound when a lot of compression is used. I rarely compress a lot but it's good to know that it's there if necessary.

I feel that the eq on the 02r is actually a strong point since is pretty accurate in my experience.

The 02r serves as a good console when used along a great pre-amp if recording and a good compressor if needed.

If one can afford to go for the 02r96, I don't see why not. They're pretty hard to find second hand though. The 01v96 is hard to find also, although not as much. The 02r is still a good console even when considering its age regardless of the improvement on the 02r96. Just make sure if you do happen to come accross an 02r, that's its a version 2 board. I bought mine for $1700 with a meter bridge, lowest I saw one for was $1500, and I have seen 02'r with no metter bridge go for up to $2000. So look around when making a purchasing decission on anything and avoid impulse buys.

Sleepy you have spoken correctly,.. I agree with you.I am saying nothing bad about the O2r96.The dynamics on it are just the same parameters taken from the T.C unity card.I have 2 O2R's (cascaded)and will keep using it cause it does what I want it to. My productions on the O2R has been mistaken for mixes done on a neve.Yes, a better work could have be done on the mic pre's but I have a technique I use to get clean signals through it even with phantom power turned on.
I really appreciate your contribution to this topic, rather than just critisizing an issue,. you gave reasons and points related to what the topic is about.

Last edited by a moderator:
E-man said:
THM,

Where can you find a used O2R96 ? if you can find one it won't be for $2400.Don't be carried away by the 96 in the O2R96,you are paying Yamaha $4000 or more for the same 96k you'll get by buying an TC finalizer(96k) or an Apogee Rosetta. Don't fall for all those industry marketing gimicks.
Moreover,..How many albums in the industry has been mastered in 96k/24bits ?
I am not saying all this cause I want to get rid of my O2R.This is just a fact that you can check out yourself.

Sorry E-Man, beg to differ.
There are dramatic imporvements on the O2R96.
SOS reviewed the beast and the folloing are some of the points raised from their 8 page review:

1. Hugely expanded features compared to the original, with significantly imporved preamps.

2. Better, more immediate control surface with Studio Manager software providing an excellent graphical user interface.

3. Full 96kHz support WITHOUT losing any channels.

4. Integral surround sound facilities.

5. Idealy spaced, nicely weighted faders.

6. Improved automation

7. User configurable function buttons

8. Vertical and horizontal fader pairing.

Summary:

One of the most popular digital consoles has just had one hell of a makeover. The all new O2R96 shares little bar the size of it's footprint with the original version, but brings considerably more facilities, a vastly improved control surface, and full 96kHz and surround sound compatibility. If you don't lust after one by now, you're reading the wrong magazine.
Sos-Hugh Robjohns

So, exactly what were you Beta testing and where did you get your information from? A bit like me typing in a whole list of pres and compressors and you coming in and saying what did it have to do with the poster asking about pres, bearing in mind that the topic then wen't on to discuss what compressor and mic would suit his setup.
Whereas I am not dissin you I am not convinced of your arguments or the approach you take in your delivery. You love to slam your advice down without checking your facts.
Again what were you Beta testing and for who?

You have to remember we are advising newbies most of the time and they take our advice as bible so we have to be careful, not only in the information we provide, but also in our delivery. So, please, get your facts sorted before imparting with your slam dunk advice, especially when a guy is about to spend a few gees.

Last edited:
Back