Digital or Analog Mixers

I look at it this way, you can pick up a digital mixer at the same price of a really good A/D converter (makes you think how good can that mixer be). So my recommendation, go out and grab a reputable analog board... mackie, allen & heath etc... and spend the money on a good interface. If your spending money, have the best of both worlds- analog and digital.

Good alternative advice and exactly the setup I have. I run an ASP 8024 into a Rosetta 800 and it leaves me with the best of both worlds.

Samplecraze,
I never buy products based on what magazines say(it's all marketing and opinions),I have never done that and never will.I check the products and then buy.That was my opinion on the product and you had yours.You know what opinions are like right ?
Please find an O2R96 for $2400 and I'll take one,.I never bashed the product so the insults were not neccessary.

Not insulting you, correcting you. You claimed the products in question had very little difference between them and that their promo was pure marketting and gimmicked. I merely stated that you need to have a balanced view when advising someone of a purchase.
You might not follow a review, fair enough, but you cannot debate a spec list and a review attached from such an esteemed source and claim there is hardly a difference between the 2 products in question.
The price was not in debate only the improvements of the product.

The SOS review is about right, I read it myself before buying the 02r. But the 02r can also do surround sound. The 02r96 probably implements surround sound better though.

And on the 02r, you do lose half of the channels if you wanted to do 24 bit operation accross all channels. That one would be a biggie for me if I was recording multiple sources at the same time. It doesn't really make a difference since I mostly do mixdowns though.

I do not put the O2R96 on the same level as the O2R. All I am saying is that if you are not going to use the full functions of this mixer and just getting into mixing(beginner level,it would be best to just buy the regular O2R and buy an out board gear that can do 96k.
I have no beef with the O2R96, I am in agreement with you and sleepy in all you guys have said about it. I played with it for 2 days and personally(just me)I am not so tripped I own the regular O2R,love it and have done awesome mixes with it and might be aquiring a Neve Libra next month.I had the option to go with the O2R96 but like opinions, we also do have choices.
Thanks samplecraze and sleepy on this issue.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks SAMPLECRAZE I just appreciate anyone who gives good advice without all the haterism or crab mentality that goes on in this industry. That said I've decided on the TASCAM DM24 ARE THERE ANY ACCESSORIES I NEED TO GET?

Not really pal. TBH, the expansions are all to do with whether you need a further 8 channels of ADAT, or if you need additional channels of TDIF or AES/EBU.

The system already works AES/EBU and has 24 channels of TDIF I/O, optical digital I/O, 2 stereo digital inputs switchable between AES/EBU and 8 channels of ADAT. So you are already covered in the important departments. The only thing that does wet my mouth would be the analog board. 8 channels of that could come in handy.
I believe there is the firewire option available now, IF-FW, but I could be wrong here. There is no dedicated surround but it is supported with channel assignments. You also have the 4 auxes to play with. I would have loved more onboard metering as that is limited on the DM, for now..Just remember that if you work off 96kHz throught the signal path then your mixer, effectively, becomes a 16 channel console.
But as it stands, it's already a monster.

:confused: Okay Digital or Analog?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what is Firewire and what does it do? And what is it's purpose?

eeaazzee said:
I'm in the market to buy a 24 trk mixer, and I would like to know which should, I buy digital or analog? And what brand is better, I have a budget of $2,400. I basically do hip-hop, R & B and Alternative
Get the tascam dm24 its worth more than what it cost compared to digital mixers in the same price range....p.s. You might walk away with $200 more in your pocket for your price range

I'm not sure what homeboy above is asking (difference between analog and digital mixer), but I have a question: Does a digital mixer actually take analog ins, convert to digital, mix digitally, then convert back to analog and send to the outs? I'd rather just use a software mixer.

or is it just digitally automating the parameters for mixing the analog signals?

The second sounds like a better option than the first to me. Which is it?

Scalez said:
I'm not sure what homeboy above is asking (difference between analog and digital mixer), but I have a question: Does a digital mixer actually take analog ins, convert to digital, mix digitally, then convert back to analog and send to the outs? I'd rather just use a software mixer.

or is it just digitally automating the parameters for mixing the analog signals?

The second sounds like a better option than the first to me. Which is it?
The dm24 can work as a standalone digital mixer plus it can act as a soundcard if its hooked up to a computer but to do what you were asking all you need is another soundcard so you could run the outputs back in the dm24 via adat or 1/4 inch wires

but I have a question: Does a digital mixer actually take analog ins, convert to digital, mix digitally, then convert back to analog and send to the outs?
Yes, this is how a "digital mixer" works
I'd rather just use a software mixer.
Its not the same, for one you cant use a software mixer live and then you need to fork out for plugins.
There are mixers that do this but they cost a fortune and are called "automated analog consoles"

I have yet to see anything but high-end analog consoles with automation features.

I don't know about the dm24 but the 02r has a feature called "automix" that is for automation.

Back