Digi002 With or Without the Console

J

Johnnie Cocaine

Why is it so important to have the console?

Give me some scenerios where it makes things easier?

First thing its not a console it s control surface and the only reason people like to have a control surface is becuase you can actually touch the fader,pan,eq etc.. instead of doing it with your mouse on the computer and its more acurrate specially on the knobs.

Let's say you're mixing. And you say to yourself "I want to bring down the volume of the drums". You can either click on the virtual fader of each drum track one by one, or you can grab the faders with your hand and bring them down.

Say you're recording a vocal part. The vocalist says "more me in the headphones". You can either search for the vocal part, then click and drag on the virtual fader... or you can just grab the vocal fader with your hand.

A large portion of the time, I find that if I control my mix with a mouse, I end up mixing with my eyes. If I can close my eyes and adjust the parts by feel, I end up mixing with my ears instead. Much more musical.

-Hoax

unless u wana use the DIGI002 as a mixer for live performance, its really stupid to pay an additional 1200$ just to feel confortable touching the faders.
i know its more accurate using the faders then using the mouse, but really u could overcome this and save 1200$. i am not familiar with Protools Le, but from my experience with Cubase Sx, i can draw the fader line movement. so it couldnt be more accurate than that :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not talking about accurate, I'm talking about workflow.

Let's face it: if you wanted to make a beat and be as "accurate" as possible, you'd calculate the BPM and the sample rate, then place in the notes one by one precisely.

So why use an MPC or an MV8 or a 909 or an RS7k? Because of the workflow. You grab a pad, you play the part. You sample, you resample, you bang out a track. It all feels good. It's about the way you work, and the speed of getting ideas from your head to other peoples' ears.

-Hoax

I bought an 002 rack thinking that oh I don't mind mixin with the mouse. A friend of mine had a mackie control surface and I did a few mixes at his house and my work flow was better and more efficient. Has anybody tried to write automation on multiple channels with a mouse? If you have god bless you. I wound up buying a mackie master control cuz mixing on a control surface may not be necessary but it makes like easier and allows you to zone out and just get into the mix. Its more precise and intuitive than just a mouse. I say that to say if you can afford it go for the 002mx cuz it'll let you work a little better and get more into your mixes. If you can only afford the rack thats cool, like someone else posted you CAN mix effectivly with a mouse its just a little more work.

Cruel Hoax said:
Let's say you're mixing. And you say to yourself "I want to bring down the volume of the drums". You can either click on the virtual fader of each drum track one by one, or you can grab the faders with your hand and bring them down.

Say you're recording a vocal part. The vocalist says "more me in the headphones". You can either search for the vocal part, then click and drag on the virtual fader... or you can just grab the vocal fader with your hand.

A large portion of the time, I find that if I control my mix with a mouse, I end up mixing with my eyes. If I can close my eyes and adjust the parts by feel, I end up mixing with my ears instead. Much more musical.

-Hoax

so true. reading this makes me wish i'd had the money to get the model with the control surface... but the reality was(and is) that i couldn't afford it and still can't just yet.

the idea of working with faders seems so much more natural... something for the list of things i would like to buy in the future i guess.

it reminds me of what it was like to get my MIDI controller after penciling in notes! what a revolution!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah with the control 24, and pro control if you know how to use them you rarely gotta use your mouse or keyboard,Which i think makes it alot more real and you can feel your mix more.

i have a digi 002 control surface, and initially i intended to use it much like what some of these guys are posting here says. but lately i've been learning more shortcut commands, which ultimately eliminates the "quick to access" features on the control console.

but before i say its useless (because i'm not) i have to say when it comes to adjustings and panning levels when mixing, you realize what its truely for. it's the 'feel' of being in control.

What about midi controllers?
Peavey PC1600
CM MotorMix
Mackie Baby HUI
JL Cooper CS-10

You can probably get a used one of the above on ebay (or new... i think i saw the CM go for around $600)
I'm looking at the MotorMix myself...

Back