Digi 002r Vs. 828mkii

E

endoraver

I find myself in such a dilemma at the momment. I really wanted the digi002r but i saw the 828mk2 and was impressed at the features HOWEVER i have yet to find detailed specs on it. I even emailed MOTU and to be honest, their methods are really unimpressive. Every aspect of it. It seems like a good product but i want to do an A-B comparison between the two, on paper, looking at the specs. There seems to be very little info on this unit (baby specs such as no. of ins and whatnot) I want info like impedances, ad/da specs, dynamic range, freq. response, etc.

The price difference is significant i know, probably due to the software. My dilemma is hardware wise.

What do you think?

I had a 828mk2 first, using it with nuendo. I thought what I had was tight. The 828mk2 was my computer's sound card. sweet! Then I went to a studio running Protools, I wanted to be compatible, so I decided to get the Digi 002R (traded in my 828). The Digi 002 blows the 828mk2 away in sound quality. nuff said!

I have a 002R and my uncle has a 828 and a 896. both are solid and there advatages and disadvantages to both.One of the biggest advantages of the motu is that you can use any sequencer you want and you can also daisy chain more than one together, but the 002 is a killer and just remember that by the time you buy a sequencer coprable to pro tools your gonna spend the about the same amount of money anyway. The sound quality of both are great so for you it might just boil down to wether you want pro tools or another program

You know, I can see why you weren't impressed by the MOTU site. I couldn't find the specs either. A very complete feature list, yes. But not proper specs. I thought I'd seen them there somewhere but I sure couldn't find them.

But I own an 828mkII and have had no complaints with it so far. I can't say I've given it a thorough workout, but it's handled everything I've thrown at it.

I'm not crazy about digital montiroing (CueMixDSP) because of the (very, very small) latencies. But that's going to be an issue with any device that uses a digital cue mixer, as the Digi 002 does, too. I'm apparently one of the few people that bothers.

The manual is good, which is good, since there are a lot of features, and the CueMixDSP takes a little adjusting to for those of us weaned on conventional mixing b oards.)

I'm not a Mac user so I haven't used the Mac audio multitracker software it came with. I assume it's the audio component from Digital Performer, but you never know.

I'm under the very vague impression that both units (the MOTU and the 002r) use the same converters -- but I could be all wrong. And, certainly the analog circuitry and (particularly) mic preamps will probably leave a heavy stamp on the overall sound, as well. (But I tend to use outboard preamps anyway.)

I assume you are comparing the Digi 002 RACK to the Motu 828 Mk II. If that is the case, then here is a review of the Motu 828 MkII

http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_the_motu_828_mk2_audio.htm

I strongly recommend the Motu 828 MkII over the Digi 002. The Digi 002 is a very good unit, but but it has fewer features than the Motu 828 MKII. Plus when you buy the Digi, you get Protools LE (LIMITED EDITION) which is exactly what it states. Limited. Plus the price of the 828 is a lot cheaper than the Digi 002. You can pick one up at Guitar Center for $700 after bargaining. As opposed to spending about 1200 for the Digi 002 which will run you over $1,100.

I have had my Motu for over a month and its working beautifully. If you want to hear a sample track that I mixed and mastered with my Motif Rack/Motu/Cubase I can let you hear something.

Jos

hey Jos.

I use a Motu 828ii and cubase, im looking at the motif rack. let me check out your work man.

thanks.

i have a 002r and its really on point. i dont have a problem with the track limits of le. compare the features to what you need and youll see what fits better

I too know this dilemma. Here's my two cents.

As far as sound goes, I have A/B'd them and I think they are on par with each other in terms of AD/DA and mic pre quality. But as far as features goes, the 828MkII really does beat the 002 :
*10 in 10 out over 8 in 8 out,
*true zero latency hardware monitoring with the 828's onboard mixing DSP where the 002 relies on software,
*828 can be used as a standalone hardware mixer
* LCD display on the unit
*828 is actually 1/4 of the size and its built really well. The shop I work at has had loads of issues with 002racks and dodgy power supplies and internal wiring, but the 828's have been sweet.

But, if you want to use Tools, then you really have no choice but to go for the 002Rack. This then means you can use any sequencer around including Tools.
Now I'm not saying the 002 is bad, I'm just saying the 828 is a little better. If it came with ProTools, you'd be sorted.

BTW, as far as I know at the current time you can't use multiple 828's unless you're running Digital Performer.

A couple of tiny corrections to xavfijac's post: the CueMixDSP is near-zero latency because it is a digital mixer and there is no such thing as a truly ZL digital mixer, but the latency time is very, very short, probably completely unnoticeable for most folks -- nothing like the roundtrip latency associated with monitoring "through the CPU" on firewire and USB units -- and considerably less than the onboard (processing) latency of many PCI soundcards.*

On the outputs, the MOTU actually has 12 discretely addressable outputs (the headphone out can be used as an indepent out, as well). And, like the 002, there are 8 ADAT io's and 2 SPDIF's as well.

On the multiple 828mkII's -- I was under the impression you could use multiples -- at least under Windows (Windows has had good OS level support for multiple multichannel devices since 96. As long as the units can synch together, you should be able to use them in tandem). The MOTU site doesn't include any caveats about this, just saying: "Expandable - add additional 828, 828mkII or 896 FireWire interfaces for additional I/O."

But if anyone has any more info on that issue, I'd be very interested in hearing it. I'd hate to find out the hard way... ;)

*(I'm quite sensitive to latencies and I never noticed it until I was tracking some electric guitar completely d.i. Since there was no amp or noticeable acoustic noise, I noticed an almost imperceptible latency between what my fingers were doing and what I was hearing. I've posted about this phenomenon in a couple of places and everyone I've talked to, including other 828mkII users as well as other digital mixer users, thinks I'm imagining it. I don't notice it on vocals, presumably because of the acoustic sound of my voice in my own head. But guitar is a feel thing, and, yeah, I can feel it. It's similar to the latency of some digital guitar pedals.)

Tough decision.
I own a Digidesign 001 and have always used MOTU midi interfaces and also owned DP for a while. I like Digidesign's products, but they tend to be a little more expensive. MOTU makes good very stuff, but their service is horrible. Digidesign has good service.

Those factors may be important to you.

Also, you can use a utility to convert MOTU files in the Pro Tools files.

Peace.

hi!
i´ll be attending a Steinberg Training Center in the fall, and is looking to buy a new FW interface for my system. the mk828II is the alternative i´ve been looking closest at. I like to keep my options open when it comes to sequencers. digi002r only works with Pro Tools, right? Any Pro Tools version or just LE?

I'm the opposite of a lot of the others, I guess. I left Digidesign (Digi 002) for MOTU (828mkII). Both are fine products with weakness and advantages, I just became limited with the Digi 002 route. I think it comes from it being initially designed to work as an all-in-one sort of "bundle unit" (mixer = interface) for ProTools, that lead to me leaving it. I wanted something truely expandable and "open", being able to work with ProTools, then, became unimportant completely.

Basically, whatever gives you the best workflow, sound and comfort, is the best.

The difference in sound quality between the Digi 002 and 828mkII is not the gear, it's the producer/composer. Both are up to par. As for ProTools, it has like 20 percent to do with the sound, as opposed to the inputs, A/D and the other gear, which has much more affect on the quality. Unless you're comparing to some consumer level stuff. Digi002 + LE/TDM vs. Motu 828mkII + Cubase or Nuendo or Logic....the result comes down to you, and your abilities. But, that's my point, how would we know, when the 002 is designed for ProTools exclusively? If the inputs are good combined with good software, we assume it's all good right? So, if you take an equally good unit like the Motu, and say Nuendo, then we assume it's all good right? It's preference.

It's just more often than not that we say "wow' to Digidesign stuff, because it's guaranteed compatible, with ProTools, while Motu is open, and can use everything, which may not work. Not to say it's not good, because it is, but a lot of people also glorify ProTools oriented stuff, because it is the most used. It's the Micheal Jordan shoe of audioware, if you will, an elistest's ego boost for many. Try for yourself, and don't be biased.

Both are good.

theblue1,

I was just about to mention that Digidesign released asio drivers so you can use the Digi 002 with Nuendo, Cubase, and Pro Tools, anything that supports asio.

hel said:
I'm the opposite of a lot of the others, I guess. I left Digidesign (Digi 002) for MOTU (828mkII). Both are fine products with weakness and advantages, I just became limited with the Digi 002 route. I think it comes from it being initially designed to work as an all-in-one sort of "bundle unit" (mixer = interface) for ProTools, that lead to me leaving it. I wanted something truely expandable and "open", being able to work with ProTools, then, became unimportant completely.

Basically, whatever gives you the best workflow, sound and comfort, is the best.

The difference in sound quality between the Digi 002 and 828mkII is not the gear, it's the producer/composer. Both are up to par. As for ProTools, it has like 20 percent to do with the sound, as opposed to the inputs, A/D and the other gear, which has much more affect on the quality. Unless you're comparing to some consumer level stuff. Digi002 + LE/TDM vs. Motu 828mkII + Cubase or Nuendo or Logic....the result comes down to you, and your abilities. But, that's my point, how would we know, when the 002 is designed for ProTools exclusively? If the inputs are good combined with good software, we assume it's all good right? So, if you take an equally good unit like the Motu, and say Nuendo, then we assume it's all good right? It's preference.

It's just more often than not that we say "wow' to Digidesign stuff, because it's guaranteed compatible, with ProTools, while Motu is open, and can use everything, which may not work. Not to say it's not good, because it is, but a lot of people also glorify ProTools oriented stuff, because it is the most used. It's the Micheal Jordan shoe of audioware, if you will, an elistest's ego boost for many. Try for yourself, and don't be biased.

Both are good.

You're not alone. I know a few people that have left the Digi 002 or are leaving the Digi 002. Their main concern is with the Pro Tools software itself. LE is far too constricting and I find it humorous that some users try to compare it to a full version of Cubase SX 2 / Sonar 3 / or Logic. They tell you in the software title that its Limited. That was the main reason I chose not to go the Digi route myself as well ass reading that the 828 had more features.
Just last week, I was going to master one of my friends tracks and he has the Digi 002 rack. I told him "send me an OMF of your song that way I don't have to sequenc everything". Low and behold, Pro Tools LE has that feature disabeled unless you upgrade to the full program. He had to send me a zip of all the waves instead.

Jos

32 tracks not enough?!?

Y'all a bunch of puddy tats!

When I was a kid we used to have to trudge 12 miles backwards through the snow just to get to the nearest four track, and then shovel coal for almost an hour to get the fire up on the steam-powered generator.

The noise floor on the tape machine was so bad we had to run it so far into the red the tape heads would pull a metal cup across the console... the grease on the window would rearrange itself into the polar patterns...

Last edited:
I ended up buying the 828mkII yesterday, it played fine through my headphones on my laptop but i just installed it on my desktop and there is noticeable popping. I am on a PC, running winamp where i have set WaveOut output through the MOTU Main Outs 1-2. I play some tones (1000hz, 5000hz and 10000hz) and i get a lot of popping. What's wrong?!

Back