differences between soundcards?

C

cfuse

I currently have SB Live! Value, but I'm thinking if I should change. So, is there a really dramatic audible difference between soundcards? What do I get for the money? I'm talking about completely software based production, maybe some guitar recording through Line In, but besides that I/O possibilities don't really matter at this point. What are the specifications to keep an eye on? Hopefully somebody can shed some light to this primitive newbie that I am.

hi man! well i love the sblive!!! I use a Delta 1010-LT only cause im after the quality, but ive been making tunes for a while now so i deserve a high end audio card!! but... to be honest, as ive said in most my sound card posts, the sblive is really kool with the aps drivers http://come.to/sblive if your not using those drivers, then ya should cos they are wicked! :) 8ms of latency in cubase, every audio sequencing blokes dream come true, and ive heard people make stuff with those cards that really KICK!

Then... if you really really do want to convert to a high end audio card, then there are tons out there, the only thing you are really gaining over an sblive is possibly:

better timing resolution
better sound quality
more outs and ins

if your interested in upgrading (which if i were you I wouldnt unless you got tons of money and are also tired of sblive land)

check out midiman.net or creamware.de they are both good starting points.

So, is there a really dramatic audible difference between soundcards?

yeh totally, much crisper, much cleaner.

What do I get for the money?

quality, low latency, professional edge.

What are the specifications to keep an eye on?

quality, low latency.

If your new to this, stick with the sblive it will give you everything you want at the moment if you use the right software, as I say 8ms of latency in cubase, I have it set up on my old machine with an sblive value, absolutely fantastic performance :)

regards

fluxtah

also, a really fast pc helps if its more software based music production your doing, a nice fast pc with fast hardrive will do.

Last edited:
Well, actually I would like to get good Line In recordings with my POD, but somehow Live seems to f**k up my distorsion sound. It just sounds thin. Could it be the 16-bit A/D converter that is causing this?

Back