difference btw monitors and pc speakers

T

theheights

what's the difference btw monitor speakers and good pc speakers?
i usually output thru my home stereo and i was considering getting something with a better portability.
thanks.

Frequency Responce

Flatter Frequency curve (Less Colouration)

Better Dynamic Range

Better S/N Ratio

Resonant Freqency of Cabinet is dampened

Better Mid Range Clarity

Stereo Phase improvements

Better Sweetspot coverage

Better Quality cable (usually)

Less Fatigueing to Listen to

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt think there was any such thing as "good" PC speakers???

You woe it to yourself to monitor your mucis through a good pair of studio monitors, otherwise you are not really "hearing" your audio in its true light. And any decisions you make to effect or process your audio will be based on a false representation of its true sound.

If you cant afford a good pair of monitors, but yourself a good quality pair of headphones and monitor through them.....definately a much better option than using PC speakers!

Good luck with your decision

If you want to be really cheapass, then mix through your normal headphones. At least on your normal headphones you know how the music sounds. You listen to professional music through your headphones, so you know what it's supposed to sound like through them.

Bad thing about headphones is that you never know how loud the bass is. Also.. I did a song and the vocals were way louder than the beat and I didn't even know it b/c I did it all wearing headphones. Big earmuff ones too. I need monitors, and so does this guy.

-Donovan

oALTAIRAo said:
Bad thing about headphones is that you never know how loud the bass is.

I support this comment 100% and have learn't from personal experience!!!! NEVER use headphones to professionally mix your music.

mungo said:
quote:
----------------------------------------
I didnt think there was any such thing as "good" PC speakers???
----------------------------------------
Yamaha MSP-5, thats certainly a blurry line.
What do you mean here ? :confused:

Not quite monitors, but too good to be computer spekaers. Personally I think its great, I'm running an older pair of yamaha's inbetween speakes.

Imho the MSP5's are far too weak and absolutely not "clean"; I have MSP10's here, but - except the name "MSP-" - you can't compare them at all with the MSP-5. Huge difference in power and accuracy (no colourisation).

Alls I was sayin was that mixing through a pair of good quality headphones would be a better choice than a pair of ****ty PC speakers......

But I agree, you should definately NEVER mix entirely through headphones. You can however, switch between them, for example if it was late at night and you didnt want to wake the girlfriend/wife....then continue on with your pro headphones. But always check the mix through a pair of translation monitors.....

even the best headphones (AKG) are not suitable for mixing. Get some of the mackies if possible, but really you want some genelecs. genelecs are sweet.

Genelecs are not neccessarily that great.....it all depends on the listener, as each person has their own "flavor" of sound. A friend of mine has a pair of $10,000 ATC's, and they are absolutely amazing, and put the average studio Genelecs to shame.

I listened to the mackie 624's....and thought they sounded awful. I like the 824's though, in the right room they can sound gorgeous...

Personally, I would rather use my AKG K240's to mix rather than a pair of computer speakers. The AKG's will give you a much more accurate representation of sound than a pair of PC Speakers.

Back