DAW versus PC

DJ Distinctive

Community Daddy
I am surprised to see that there is a majority (if not all) that uses PC and not stand alone DAW's as home studio. I have heard a lot of ppl. complain about latency, multitasking priorities and memory limitations on a PC that either upset your recording or orange book burning to CD. Are these problems now solved for new powerful PC systems?

I think a lot of people use sound blaster sound cards and such, which doesnt allow them to really get a solid ASIO system and such.

I think the latest computers (Pentium 4 - 2Ghz with 512MB RAM and 100GB UDMA/100 hard disk) are amazingly powerful compared to what we used to have, and if you pick the RIGHT sound card (HAMMERFALL for example) you'll get the same latency as hardware workstations, and enough CPU power to drive Cubase VST, realtime effects, and several devices (sampler such as HALion, drumbox such as BATTERY by NI, a few synths such as the PRO-52 etc..) without much problem.

I just moved to Windows2000 on a 100% intel machine (1Ghz pentium III + intel motherboard) with a Pulsar II card, and I get really good performances. I think Win2000 is good for memory and multitasking problems we faced in the past. I enjoy my computer a lot more than I used to.

I guess I've managed to pick the right PC parts right from the start coz I've never had any real problems.

Hmm well ok I had latency problems with Cakewalk 6-7 but that was when PC daw's were a new thing - ofcourse there had to be problems.

I'm using Duron 800mhz + ABIT KT7-A-R + Cakewalk Sonar.

Toni L.
www.mp3.com/NativeAlien

Last edited by a moderator:
your reading the wrong forums......... go to homerecording.com or audioforums.com and see just what going on. I have had a succesful PC DAW for awhile running cake walk, reaktor,gigasampler and fruity loops simultaneously for a long time.

Originally posted by kennedy connor
your reading the wrong forums......... go to homerecording.com or audioforums.com and see just what going on. I have had a succesful PC DAW for awhile running cake walk, reaktor,gigasampler and fruity loops simultaneously for a long time.
Wassup? Your haemmorhoids playing up?

There are plenty of people who have a great deal of trouble with using computers as DAWs. Check this thread on another forum as just one example of the crrap you sometimes have to go through just to get them to do what hardware does quickly and efficiently (although of course hardware can't do what some software does and is often more expensive). Lots of people have problems with latency and stability on their machines - just cos you're a techy bod doesn't mean everyone else is an idiot for not being able to sort out their BIOS settings or whatever properly! If you don't feel like being a computer tech then sometimes getting a computer to do your recording can feel like pulling teeth.

The simple answer to Distinctive's questions is that computers can now do more than hardware and can be stable and have 0 latency. But only if you really put the hours in setting them up.

KasioRoks

Back