DAW setup for PC Home Studio

B

Barzin

I’m an experienced guitar player who is almost finished researching my first DAW system. After many hours of research and coming from knowing absolutely nothing about DAW, I have come up with this heavy software system.

This is a PC based system, not Apple. I've come to understand that Apple does a better job for these type of applications, but I own two high-end PC's.

So anyway, this is what I've come up with to create rock, dance tracks, experimental, Blues, etc ... you name it.

** Software (yes, all four) **

1) Sonar 3 Producer "main mixing tool"

2) Project5 (strong midi key board applications for drums, strong interface with Sonar

3) Reason 2.5(strong looping, plus, it's just awesome.)

4) IK Multimedia (Amplitube, SampleTaank, T-racksS)
Adds warmth, and decent guiater sounds without hooking up my entire rig, another good midi key board application. This is last last item on my list.

** Midi Interface Surface **

Tascam US 428 Audi Interface

** Keyboard **

Used Sounddesign SL-161 MIDI
or any good good used $200-400, no sound, good key action keyboard.

** Monitor Speakers **

Behringer B2031 Truth Monitor Speakers

** Computer upgrades ***

Add a Western Digital 200 Gig IDE Drive. I want a separate drive for writing tracks.

I'll probably try to get some of this stuff from eBay.

All told, it's about $3400-3800, about $800 less without the IK software.

What do you all think? Any thoughts? Too much -or- too little? What's the advantage for going the Pro Tools route for a non pro, hobbiest type anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
project5 is a good choice and it rewires with the sonar 3 producer...nice choices i love the project5. but why do you need Reason 2.5 which is on the same level as Project5 is? They both rewire with Sonar 3 Producer, so you should just try 'em both out and the one you like...the one you'll get.

Dr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont record rock,I record hip hop,but that is a goood setup.

I can relate, being a guitarist that went digital several years back. I think you would be very happy with the equipment mentioned, but also agree that Project 5 & Reason would be redundant. If your going with Sonar, I would lean towards Project 5 at first, and then maybe later Reason when you got everything down first. But that's just me - if you already know what Reason is about, and see good use for it, then go for it.

Barzin I am a Sonar user and guitar player. I love Sonar, I think it will suit you fine.

You might want to drop the IK stuff, I for one was never a big T-Racks fan, the PSP Vintage Warmer (discounted to Sonar users) or the Izotope is much better for mastering. The Vintage Warmer can even be used on individual tracks for compression.

Doing that will leave some money for a mic and preamp to capture that guitar or vocals

You might also consider the Alesis monitors. Some people love Truths some hate them, but then same goes for the Alesis.

I would reccomend starting with less, as alot of the features of those programs overlap... And Pro Tools isn't popular because of it's sound or it's saturation in the industry. It's popular because it's easy and provides a good middle ground of support and sound quality.

If you get project 5 or reason,get a edirol midi controller.

Back