cutting accoustic foam, how?

D

DoubleL520

Hey i was wondering if it is ok to cut accoustic foam because i need to trim a few inches off one of the sides. If yes, then what should i use to cut it and still leave it smooth opposed to having rugged sides? btw i will be using the 2" accoustical pyramid foam featured on this page if that helps any (http://www.foambymail.com/Pyramid.html)

Its best to use a proper foam cutter, mark it out carefully and go to your local foam store.

Believe it or not those electric cutting knives (that you use to cut meat) work perfectly. You would need a straight edge (piece of wood) to guide the knife in a straight line.

I used it on my foam and have perfectly smooth edges.

I learned the trick from a arts & craft store where I bought my 1" foam for my console padding. I seen them use it to cut the amount of foam I needed. Then when I got home I used the same type of electric knife to cut my pyramid foam, and it worked perfectly.

Try it out on a scrap piece and see for yourself.

You can also get one of those disposible razoz blades that slides out to whatever length you need. Actually not meant to do that but it works.

Just slide out about 2 inches worth from the handle and cut away. Just go slow.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll check out all these routes to see which one is best.

Back