Cubase/Pro Tools

cubase, write music
protools, record music, edit audio.

they arent really competitors because they are aimed at different tasks but have overlapping features.

Firewire

I would say get Cubase SX. Phuc the MBOX get the FIREWIRE

www.m-audio.com

Actually I believe Cubase has an Audio Editor so your chillin.

Here's my tracks recorded on a digi001 and mixed on a TDM system.
http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Courtney/
I've seen cubase in action but it's not my cup of tea,but as far as over rated not really alot of pro's endorse it but majority of the studios my clients use have it and it easy for me to transfer my file to a nother studio.
http://digidesign.com/users/user_story.cfm?story_id=181&lang=1
user_1962_2825.jpg

Yes...
Protools = big pro studio
Cubase = @ home studio

Using protools at home is pointless IMO, if you really want the AD converters that come with protools then u'd be better off buying them separately and team it up with cubase. SX2 is just quality..

And another note about 44.1Khz vs 96Khz:

Another big reason why 96Khz is higher quality, is because of how sampling rate affects the AD Converter LP filter. @44.1Khz, this filter has to be built to start attenuating STEEPLY from 20Khz (highest audible) to close to total silence @22Khz (nyquist frequency). Because this 'nyquist frequency' (half the sampling rate) rises from 22Khz to 48Khz, the filter slope can be smoother, and will sound better.

BLAH! dunno if anyone understood that. sorry if it was a bit wordy :p

What's the point when everything just get's converted to 44.1/16 anyway? And 48 for video.

I love Pro Tools for the home. I wouldn't trade it in for anything. So much control, state of the art, great pci card for my 001. I run all my sound through it. Makes everything sound better.
alsihad.jpg

Peeps always ***** about protools,if got nothing good to say about and your not making dolla's with shut up and keep your comments to yourself because in the end let's hear what the track sounds like!

i know everybody dont have the money for it but i also have pro tool but use nuendo 2.1 everyday now. I use pro tools for alil bit but it just didnt flow with me. Nuendo sounds better than pro tools le but its easy to work around with too. I think one of the biggest left outs in pro tools is the right click on the mouse. Pro tools is kind of old fashion as far as what they have updated or not about the program. Alot of people say i use pro tools cause its the standard. Ok lets be for real how much do the pro tools programs cost on the big ones and what preamps are they using with them and how much do a le system cost. i myself would think its better to transfer a project for the bigger pro tools system to a pro tools le system then the other way around. I think pro tools is kind of behind in features but some like the program the way it is. I thik pro tools is the best hardware/soft package on the market. i just know that its not about what others are using its about what you are. Listen to those classic cds from back in the days most of them compare to today sound like trash but there great music. alot of us worry way too muchabout the b.s. sid of music compare to the music. some talk about home studios verses big ones. I know to use pretty much every computer program cause there all pretty much the same just a different name slapp on the front. I like the ease of use of nuendo. Remember this in the long run its all about the music.

mistaox said:
Lets See.

Protools: Souped up and overrated(looks like up Cool edit.)Uses Proprietary hardware that cost an arm and a leg. Midi implementation sucks.

naw man. i havent had any porblems with midi implementation on protools at all. it's a great recording program. i wouldnt write my music on it cause it's a lil more time consiming that way. i do the music on the motif and the mpc. but then i dump to protools tdm and it's great. i set the midi clock control to the mpc4000 and were great to go. i name all my sounds and stack them with the audio and if i need to switch a sound with a protools soundbank. easy as pie. the real beauty is recording live instruments into protools and using protools efx to make them sound epic!!! both programs are great but protools being an industry standard allows you to import your files into any major studio with minimal problems. it takes about an hour to dump a 14track 24bar loop to protools with my motif cause i havent bothered to set up my 8 outs in relation to diff midi channels like i can on the mpc. plus i have a wicked nice engineer that is a protools guru anyway. :cheers:

Ok one more time I happen to enjoy protools some of us are not bedroom junkies.I like recording and editing in protools and then I mix threw an SSL in a major studio but as for doing demo's i'll stick to protools fully until i'm ready for the fatter sound.Here's my sceince for mixing,Protools=recording and editing,SSL=mixing and studer is the tape machine I mix down to and convert it all back to digital.

c_control_big.jpg

gear.jpg
03102.jpg

03125l.jpg

The same thing that Tony Maserati does.
xl4_compu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i was shown by many pro engineers to:

-Track to 2in tape ( ex.Studer)
-then transfer to ProTools for editing 96khz 24bit
-then back to 2in tape for mixing through a SSL or large format mixer.
-bounce down to DAT master deck
(ex. 48khz 24bit) to give to mastering engineer. or keep a PT 96k 24bit bounce for mastering. let the mastering engineer/studio do the down sampling, unless you master yourself, then the last few steps change a little bit.

using Apogee converters for the whole A/D D/A processes.

so yea I agree with the process fully!!

peace

Rob
aka nuke

Beatz4DaMasses said:
Ok one more time I happen to enjoy protools some of us are not bedroom junkies.I like recording and editing in protools and then I mix threw an SSL in a major studio but as for doing demo's i'll stick to protools fully until i'm ready for the fatter sound.Here's my sceince for mixing,Protools=recording and editing,SSL=mixing and studer is the tape machine I mix down to and convert it all back to digital.

c_control_big.jpg

gear.jpg
03102.jpg

03125l.jpg

The same thing that Tony Maserati does.
xl4_compu.jpg

mommy:cry:

Back