cpu storage

J

juniormint

i have a question, i've been using sonar for awhile and have about 4 songs saved. on my 5th song my cpu storage is up to about 80 percent and the song is skipping in the more populated areas(15 to 20 tracks).so my question is how to decrease the cpu storage? is it just this one song or is it my computer?

That's hard drive storage, cpu stand for central processing unit. That would be your processor.

Uninstall all programs that you don't use and defragment your hard drive. This will help with hard drive performance. Ideally, you'd want to record onto a separate hard drive.

CPU overhead can vary depending on the number of tracks & live effects you're running. For example a nice reverb plug in like the TC Native one can be very hungry for your processing power. Wherever it is practicable to do so, you should print the effects to the track. This should free up some resources of your PC.

BTW - what's the spec of your computer?

MM

ok thanx ill have to start storing songs in my d drive

messyman i have a lap top pentium 4 ,518 of ram and a 40 gig hard drive,im not sure what you mean by print the effects because your right i am using reverb.

Well that's a nice spec and shouldn't be causing too many problems.

By print the effects, i mean to just render them as a wav.. for example... if you're running a guitar/drum/bass etc track with the reverb being created & processed in real time by the CPU then this uses a lot of the processing power available. If you render the individual track & it's effects to a new track then you will save a lot of CPU power & be able to run more tracks.

Obviously you need to do this only when you're happy that your're not going o make changes to the effects parameters.

(print to tape is just the way we used to do it)

MM

hey thanx for the advice ill make sure i keep that in mind when i get an adat machine should be really soon
thanx

Back