Controlling my studio via PC??

A

anointed2

I have a Roland XP-60, Roland SP-808 Groove Sampler, A HP PC with 733 MHZ and 320 MB RAM
I have ACID, Fruityloops and Cool Edit Pro. I also have a midiman one i/o midi interface... I am using the factory soundcard with a Behringer MX2004a mixer

I've been producing everything by loops. This has worked well. However, I am tired of bouncing to and from. I am tired of sequening in the keyboard, then recording eveything seperatly into the computer.

My question to you all is: What software/hardware package could I purchase for under 1000 that will allow me to

1. Use audio loops from fruityloops or sample cd's
2: Utilize the individual outputs (4) on my workstation so I can mix midi as well as audio on screen
3: Utilize the track outputs (4stereo rca) on my SP-808
so that in the event I do a project entirely on the SP-808, I won't have to repatch cables.

I thank you all in advance for any help.. I appreciate all yall'

I was thinking really hard about that.. The radio station that I work for has it. It's real sweet, I like it's multiple inputs and outputs, but I have a lot of VST and DX plugins that I really like.. Is there a way I can use them in the pro tools environment?

Is the midi sequencer in protools good? I need good timing. I'm used to keyboard workstations. How do I insert compressors, gates, and other outboard efx, will I need to get rid of my mixer?

I also like the full sound of the Tascam DA-88 how would I integrate this machine into the system?

Also, how would I sync signals between the DA-88 and the sequencer?

Thanks for any help?:)

Originally posted by anointed2
Is the midi sequencer in protools good?
The midi sequencer in pro-tools is horrible, they've put a lot of effort into it (apparently) but it sucks big time. I couldn't tell you whether it is tight or not 'cos the whole interface put me off so much that I never really got stuck into it..
but I have a lot of VST and DX plugins that I really like.. Is there a way I can use them in the pro tools environment?
No, you can't and the cost of plugins for pro-tools is still very, very high (relative to VST).
I also like the full sound of the Tascam DA-88 how would I integrate this machine into the system? Also, how would I sync signals between the DA-88 and the sequencer?
You could use a SMPTE striper that then transmits MTC to your sequencer.

It sounds to me like you need to get hold of Logic/Sonar/Cubase and start speaking to some sales people about soundcards. I reckon MOTU's stuff might be up your strasse. Also I don't know what format the audio is saved as in Fruity, but you'll need to check that you can import it into whatever sequencer you go for - or you may be able to run it alongside the sequencer.

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks KasioRoks, I know what I need now.. I'm thinking about getting Cakewalk Sonar XL becuase it already has fruityloops inside the software, it does loops like acid, and has the midi sequencing that I want.

It will be a minute before I get the DA-88, but I'll get one of those 8in-8out things.. Are there any with TDIF?

Where do I get a smpte striper?

I've just had a look back at your kit list and have some suggestions:

If you like Sonar get hold of it - you'll be able to do all your sequencing from there.

I'm not sure that you need to worry about the 8 in 8 out soundcard just yet or the DA88. I reckon that you will start getting into recording Audio on your computer. The flexibility it offers you is so far beyond the DA88 that I doubt you'll want that after you're used to Sonar.

I think that you will probably want to upgrade your soundcard in the near future, but again, don't splash out yet - wait until you have more of a feel for what you need. (You may yet end up going for the 8 in 8 out).

If you want to use outboard fx (remembering that in Sonar you will have access to cheaper software versions) you can use these between your sound sources and your mixer.

Just some thoughts. I guess my main advice is, get hold of Sonar and then, when you've got a handle on that, you'll be in a better position to judge what other gear you need to get.

KasioRoks

a little more on soundcards please!

Ok.....not exactly related but: I am in a similar position where I think i need to update by soundcard and pretty damn sharpish to.

At the moment I have no outboard gear and dont really intend on moving in that direction until finances can suit.

im working with a SoundBlaster Pro at the moment....will this suffice or is it worth upgrading....i've seen people mention the SoundBlaster Live as an adequate card but Im not sure wether its worth while spending a little extra now to prevent having to upgrade again in the future once I start building up the amount of outboard gear.......

any suggestions/help much appreciated
Adam

Back