Confused. Need prof. assistance. Plz help

dj_andy

Hello there.
I am gonna spend some money for hardware equipment in the near future, but I am very confused of what exactly do I have to buy.
I have a Yamaha CS2x, I know this is pretty good for the melody.
But what device do I need to produce the beat/bass ? I want to produce a strong bassline such as James Holden's, Bedrock's, Satoshi Tommie's etc.
Is a Sampler what I need? Or a Sequencer? Or an Expander..?
Could you please help?
It would also be great if you could show me some photos/reviews to know what exactly I am looking after...
Thanks

well you do not need a special device to produce bass, you have to know how to program a bass on a specific device.
Old Moog synths, Acces Virus, Novation Supernova, Roland Juno 106, Novation A-Station etc. all of them can produce bass sounds.
For beat, on some synth you can program them on your own, if you don't want to spend your time doing that, you can either buy a drum machine (classic Roland TR909, Korg Electribe... ) or a sampler as you said (with a sampler you still need to get the samples)

For full reviews, check http://www.vintagesynth.com

MU-15 EXPANDER YAMAHA
I010-00023-200.gif

AN-200 DESKTOP SYNTHESIZER YAMAHA
I010-00028-200.gif

...and would any of them do what I want?

hatembr said:
well you do not need a special device to produce bass, you have to know how to program a bass on a specific device.
Old Moog synths, Acces Virus, Novation Supernova, Roland Juno 106, Novation A-Station etc. all of them can produce bass sounds.
For beat, on some synth you can program them on your own, if you don't want to spend your time doing that, you can either buy a drum machine (classic Roland TR909, Korg Electribe... ) or a sampler as you said (with a sampler you still need to get the samples)

For full reviews, check http://www.vintagesynth.com

And another silly question...
what is my Cs2x? A synth? i have probably a wrong image of synths in my mind... I can only imagine they are like keyboards...

It is impossible to do beat/bass with my cs2x, right?

yes it is a synth :) But its editing capabilities are a bit limited; I mean you don't have full control over the sound, some params can be edited, and some cannot.
And a synth may or may not have a keyboard. if it doesn't have any keyb, then you have to control it from an external device.
Then, your CS2X does have drumkits and bass sounds, you just have to read its manual to understand how to select sounds. But I don't know if you can create your own bass sounds from scratch on the cs2x

Well I can't add much - Hatembr said it before - but the best basses are still made with old vintage analog synths like the Roland Juno-60 (6-voice polyphonic, better sounding than the Juno-106 but no MIDI-features), the Roland Jupiters, the Moog Minimoog (monophonic and a quite expensive piece of gear - $1.800 or more for a 30-years old 2nd hand piece !!), Korg MS-10 or MS-20, Roland SH-101 and MC-202, a.m.o.

Any questions about these ? Go ahead or look at the link Hatembr gave you.

Thanks for your replies...
So after all, what exactly are these 2 devices that I posted a pic?
Could they help me in creating the bassline? The CS2x has a very poor and empty kicks and bass that are totally inproffesional...

The MU15 is a tone generator, it s like a sound bank and i think it has no sound editing capabilities.
The AN200 is a synth and sequencer. You have 1 track for a synth line, and 3 tracks for drums. You can create your own sounds (and punchy basses :cool: ). You can create full songs & sequences also, or you can use it as a sound module and control it via your CS2x for eg. :)

Last edited:
dj_andy said:
looks expensive :/
anyway does it the same with the AN200 ?

Yes quality costs I'm afraid. From what I've understood, the AN200 is more of a synth / sequencer, the MC-505 is a drum machine so it only has drum & percussive sounds in it.

CZ

Back