Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressors and Gates

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Can anyone lend good explanations/definitions of gates and compressors? Most folks I have run into just tell me "fiddle with the knobs until everything sounds right." What are they actually doing to the audio signal?

Thanks
    jup that's a question for me too
    Koen

Thanks
    A compressor is used to alter the dynamic range of an audio signal. The dynamic range is the range of intensity of the signal. The traditional role of a compressor is tolessen the gap between the loudest signal and the softest signal. Basically this beefs up the sound and makes it sound more punchy and stuff, depending on the attack and release settings. A common use of compression is to make a vocal track uniform in intensity. Make sense?
    Last edited by irie; 06-15-2001 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks
    thank you!

thought sth like that
    Koen

Thanks
    Your compressor definition works very well for me. It makes total sense too. "Compressing" -- basically squashing the audio signal. Very cool.

Any thoughts on gates?

Thanks for the input, BTW.

Thanks
    I could be wrong, because I'm new to producing, but I think a gate rejects any signals under a preset level, to prevent unwanted "ambient" or other lower-volume sounds from being recorded.

Thanks
    Sonic thats a good defenition for gates....
    Basically expander/gates cut of the signal when it falls below the set threshold , commonly used for drum kits to cut back on noise and ****....You can also use them for ducking for like voiceovers...They got key inputs so that signals going into the inputs will control when the gates kick in

Thanks

Thumbs up

interesting posts!
    PLEASE HELP FP BY CLICKING ON

Thanks
    I was totally lost with compressors, until an engineer friend pointed me in the right direction.
    The simplest way to use a compressor, is by adjusting the basic controls in a certain order.
    The basic controlsbeing ATTACK, RELEASE, RATIO, THRESHOLD. This is the best order to adjust them in.

Firstly, set the ratio as high as it will go, set the release as fast as it will go, run your audio through the compressor, and listen carefully to the attack. It will probably sound terrible, but concentrate on the attack only, adjust it until you are happy with the attack

Secondly, Adjust the release, generally the slower you can get the release, without it booming or pumping too much.

Thirdly, the Ratio, generally the higher the ratio the smaller the range of the sound, this is the part that "squeezes" the sound, play with this until you are happy with it.

Fourthly, the Threshold, this basically allows you to choose the amount of uncompressed sound that is let through, you don't want it to be compressing all the time, fiddle with this until you are happy with the balance of compressed and uncompressed sound.

This is only a rough guide that I use, and it works for me, but if you are in doubt use your ears, sometimes it's hard to tell what a compressor is doing, it's just a matter of training your ears.

Damn I hate typing.

Thanks
    Tribal ...I think you are still confused....

Thread Information