Choosing Monitors

Kay I planed on getting the bx5's with the SBX sub but now Im having second thoughts considering i live in Canada its mad expensive it'll be like 800 for the sub and 650 for the monitiors so do the math it gonna be like $1500 theres no point spending that much on a set up that ain't even that good so should I buy a different pair of monitors ditch the sub and save some money or should buy some really good monitors $800-$1200 or so?

I want good bass response also but I know y'all are gonna tell to check out the M1's but Ive heard they give off too much bass so i dont know I suppose I'll look into them anyway

Why do you want a sub? you dont need one, and unless you got a proper monitoring room they're pretty worthless and can throw you off in my opinion....You shouldnt need one, especially if you cant exactly afford to splurge on one, or one thats really good quality to begin with. Just take that money you thought you needed to spend on one and add it to your monitors fund and get a really decent pair.

I really like KRK monitors, the Mackie's are an obviously good choice and these are the two I would choose between personally. There's also a company named ADAM which makes some really nice looking monitors, but they can be quite expensive though they seem well worth it....Im planning on upgrading my monitors in this new year and these are my choices I've narrowed so far, leaning more on the KRK's-

I hear yeah 187. Anywhere you look, Canada's music equipment is much higher than the states....way more than exchange rate. I'm actually looking at the m-audio BX8...there about $800 canadian. The frequency on them are pretty good. The even 20/20 i hear are good as well for around the same price...but the low frequency isn't that good. Enuff people big up the KRK RP8...but there very expensive here...there almost $700 per speaker here. IF you look online (www.americanmusical.com)...they come out to be $249 per spreaker...a significant savings...i might buy mine in the states to save some $$$$.

yeah it no diff than going into a store cause they throw on over 100 bucks for shipping and **** but i think i found the monitors i want i just cant seem 2 find a price anywhere
but anyway there the mackie HR 824's
there just what im looking for anyone got any ideas on how much these cost?

Thanks 4 the links i looked around myself but obviously not hard enough
sweet monitiors tho hey??

Ok a few months pass and Iv'e dug up an old thread of mine.I ended up with the Alesis Prolinear DSP 820's I just gotta pick'em up this week.Any way looks like I'll need a second pair so I was wondering what do you think would be a good choice in the $600 price range?

I won't be mixing on them,strictly 4 preproduction/reference use only.

will I need a 8 inch woofer as these won't be my "main" monitors?

Im thinkin I need tight punchy bass,clear mids,and pleasant highs.Is this available in a 5 inch woofer and for about $600 cdn?

Iv'e narrowed my choices 2
Alesis M1 mk2's
KRK Rokit 5's
Event TR-6'
any others I should consider?
Im leaning towards the KRK RP 5's
lol,Iv'e allready spent $1400 on the DSP 820's so please don't suggest anything higher than $600...remember thats list pricing I don't get ANY of the deals you guys get.

D A M N... GOOD CHOICE.

I listened to these at Sweetwater the day I bought my Alesis m1 Actives and they're eff'n awesome. You can definitely mix on those, I mix on my m1's and everything sounds great when played on headphones, boomboxes, and in the car. You don't need a sub, just A-B in the car or w/ your home theatre.

-Donovan

My suggestion is don't buy another set. Get used to this badboys first. My m1's are DEEP, and real loud as it is. Those DSP's prolly put mine to shame. You should probably get an 8" studio sub since you're full of cash though. I use my home theatre 10" sub when I wanna hear the lower freqs. I don't know of any specific ones to suggest though, haven't researched em.

-Donovan

nah I don't wanna sub.but thanks for the input,yeah I im not sure if I need a second set yet.See the thing is the way my room is and the way things will be set up is I'll have my Desk/Pc and "main" monitors (DSP's) up against the north wall.And over to the left I'll have my turntable/MPC/sound module/keys etc so I figure If my DSP's are set up to the north wall directed to the south,and Im composing my music on the left side of the room I won't be in the montiors sound path during composisiton,only during mixing/post production.SOoo I was gonna get another smaller secondary set to the left with the "sound path" directed east,lol,understand or am I just over complicating things.basicly when Im making beats I won't be in front of any monitors so i figure I'll get another set to take care of that problem.

OMG My monitors are friggin beautiful!
First pair very sexy,I can't test'em out for awhile I still need a mixer and interface aswell as a lil upgrade to the PC but lets just hope they perform as good as they look...and they are WAYYY bigger than I expected Im most definately gonna need to accousticly treat my room! I have no choice but to put them near a wall and even worse ones gonna pretty much be in a corner so I def gotta get bass traps,lol,Im pretty happy right now things are only going to get better as my studio evolves.I judge if I need a second set of monitors after everythings up and running (which will be awhile) but oh well.

Back