cheap a-ss furniture?

T

thadon41

Howdy .....:D

Anybody know a cheap a-ss place where I can get a huge mutha of a desk? ...Ive been to places like pcworld etc..but they want like £300 for a desk...I mean , come on!!! I'll build one myself for less than £50 ..haha !

I dont need nothing fancy, just something with alot of space on top :)

WAL MART!! I got 2 banquet tables from them and they work great! Then get your self a hole saw and put a neat lil hole in the middle to run your wires down!

if you've got the tools build it....that's what i'm doing. :)

Yeah, I have looked and looked. The best route seems to be building it yourself. Then you can customize it to your setup. ;)

I made my stuff modular.... I'll post pictures when I get all moved into my new house...

I have a desk, and then a rack cabinet that sits next to it, and is the same height. both the desk and cabinet are on wheels.

IKEA used ot have a specific model which had an all-metal bottom and a large pine wood surface for $99 (!)

For some reason they dont have it anymore, at least last time i checked.

Personally I preferred to pay a bit more and get a nice studio desk designed especially for audio equipment (With rack spaces, space for master controller, shelf for computer keyboard, space for 2 large screens, platforms for speakers/monitors).

It feels SO good to sit on a nice desk and write music :)

you can order all the stuff that you would need to make it have built in racks and what not. and then you can spend that extra money you saved on some more gear :)

I'm in the process of rebuilding a cd mixing station. Although I enjoy building and designing, I think I'll gladly pay the extra dough to avoid the hassle of building a studio desk / rack system. I'm a perfectionist, and woodworking is a major pain in the arse. I'll just have to make sure it's quality furniture before I buy it. :p

woodworking can be a huge pain in the @ss. i think the key is starting a project with everything planned and measured. having all the right tools helps too. if you are just building one piece of furniture, then it's probably a "wash" with just purchasing one. but if you need more than one piece and/or need to custom cases, buying the tools is well worth the investment. the only catch to building your own furniture is that once it's built it still has to be "finished." but that can be fun.

i've got one more room to hang drywall in then i'll start building my modular studio furniture and i'm really looking forward to it.

Well my family has a long line of carpenter/woodworking in it. My dad has built me countless pieces of furniture including custom record shelving, and we are working on my desk now.

Basically I just found pictures and dimensions of a desk similar to what I want, and we drew up the plans from there. I'm ordering the hardware for the racks as well. I'll post pictures as soon as we start building to show the different phases.

We are also going to build a custom vocal booth..

Couldn't help but notice u have prices in pounds. If you live in GB, I can't help u, but if not, go to:

http://www.aaronrents.com

Look for a store near you. You can find some nice stuff there for cheap.

ive got a big corner desk from ikea, cost about 180-200 but is very sturdy and stylish wit metal T legs. plenty of space up top and u can add shelves and stuff. very tidy

ppeeaaccee

Find a local builder, or go to a Goodwill drop off spot in a wealthy neighborhood. No, seriously.

after reading this thread and looking all over ive decided to build my own desk. I've drawn up designs and talked to my carpenter relatives and have a final design:

deskdesign.jpg

it measures 60"W x 50"H x 30"D and every thing has a purpose. starting with the top:

the 2 "towers" on each side are for monitors

the box in the middle is going to house a Behringer UB2222FX-Pro (which can slide in and out) and have a 19" monitor on top (soon to be lcd)

the shelves just below the "monitor towers" are for a printer and a scanner (needed because i do graphics work as well for websites and such)

the main table-top has enough room on the right side under the shelf to put my 61-key yamaha keyboard completely under leaving an area roughly 38"W x 14"D of open desk in it's place.

On the left is an 8U rackmount perfect for a couple preamps and such

below the table-top on the left is where the computer will go

on the right below the table-top are drawers

and not shown in the middle under the table-top is a slide out tray for a keyboard and mouse.

right now the material cost is around $100. I'll let you guys know the final cost and show you pictures of it and my setup when I finish it.

Back