cheap soundproof

B

Big AB

what are some cheap things i can do 2 soundproof my room/studio?

Big AB said:
what are some cheap things i can do 2 soundproof my room/studio?

What do you mean? Do you really mean "treat" your studio, or are you really trying to keep noise from coming in/out of a space? The former is relatively easy and inexpensive...the latter is definitely not.

Frank

Go to thrift store
Buy blankets
Also see if they will sell you a couple empty racks that they hang clothes on
Go home and assemble.

Dont know how it will turn out, but when I saw the need for advice I jumped right in.

A-Pex said:
Go to thrift store
Buy blankets
Go home and assemble.

Dont know how it will turn out, but when I saw the need for advice I jumped right in.

Not bad advice, but it'll only work for the high stuff. Again, the biggest problem in the room, i.e., low end, will remain untouched. You need thicker, denser treatment for that.

Besides, the OP never let us know whether he meant "soundproof" or "treat".

Frank

A-Pex said:
Go to thrift store
Buy blankets
Go home and assemble.

Just to add this is not sound proofing but "room treatment".

Glenn

True, Glenn.

I had to learn the difference, as well. The average person, when they hear the result of decreased flutter echo, call it "soundproofed." In reality, you are far from done.

A-Pex said:
Go to thrift store

Guess I should have xplained more. d[*_*]b
This type of method will not produce Berkley style dynamics, but for what you gave by way of a question, I dropped some pennies on it. In the grand scheme of things do what you can with what you have and keep stacking dead ppl till you can afford to not do it cheap. Mass media is everywere. d[*!*]b No offence taken, just saw the error of my post. Thx guyz

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a carpet store and buy the cheapest carpet. Just hang that on the wall. You don't need to cover every inch, you can leave some spots open to keep a small natural reflexion. Make sure you hang carpet behind your speakers and in the corners if your speakers are close to the corners. Try to get carpet with a rude surface and cut it into pieces that you can easyly hang on the walls.
It really works for me! Also put carpet on the floor offcourse!

Jalliuz said:
Go to a carpet store and buy the cheapest carpet. Just hang that on the wall. You don't need to cover every inch, you can leave some spots open to keep a small natural reflexion. Make sure you hang carpet behind your speakers and in the corners if your speakers are close to the corners. Try to get carpet with a rude surface and cut it into pieces that you can easyly hang on the walls.
It really works for me! Also put carpet on the floor offcourse!

Sorry man...carpet isn't the answer. Things like carpet, egg cartons, mattesses, all the conventional workarounds, have very limited utility from an acoustic standpoint. They'll do something in the highs or the high mids, but that's about it. They'll are completely useless in terms of treating the main issue in almost every room: the low end.

Carpet will do absolutely *nothing* from an isolation standpoint. Reduction of noise transfer is all about mass and decoupling. Carpet will give you neither of those things.

Frank

OK, carpet is not perfect, but if you want something cheap to improve the sound in the room a bit, then I'll recommend it. I had lots of carpet left since a renovation of the house so for me its a 100% free improvement. Its way better then flat walls with anything on it. At least you get rid of the high reverbs. For the low frequency issue I just turn the lows of my amplifier a bit down. Thats a cheap improvement too, and yes I know, thats not the way to make a perfect sound but for the moment thats all I can do about it.
And I'm not talking about isolation of a room. Carpet does indeed not work for isolation. Then a cheap option would be a double wall filled up with sand but then again it takes time and energy to fix it.

Jalliuz,
I understand that when money is tight you have to do things that might not be the best, but carpet will not isolate and as far as acoustics it really is going to mess up things more then help them. Most problems are on the low end so all you are doing is absorbing high end with carpet so the low end is bouncing all over the place. If you want a cheap way to fix a room then go to Home Depot, get some fluffy fiberglass in bags and stack it in all corners floor to ceiling. That will work 1000 times better then most things.

Glenn

Last edited:
yeah i used futon matresses to isolate my booth from exterior noise and it works pretty good i also put some aurolex inside of it and aurlex on the reflection points i have been wanting to build some bass traps but havent had the time or extra money i may try getting the bags glenn was talking about because that dude definately knows his stuff he makes and sells professional room treatment so his advice is the one you should pay attention to he really helped me out with my room setup and that made a huge change in the acoustics

Maybe It's just me, but carpet, or egg cartons on your wall would look bad too.
How many women are going to put up with that, lol.
Think about your women, and buy nice looking bass traps, and the wife approval ratings will be much better! ;) :)

Back