Celeron Processor for Home Studio.. Bad Idea????

QMinati

AMD Athlon Processor for Home Studio.. Bad Idea????

oops i meant AMD Athlon. i can get a real good deal on a computer but its a amd processor not a P4. anybody use a celeron processor for pro tools, etc/????

Last edited:
how stoned are you?

P4 good,

Athlon XP equally good

Celeron BAAAD

but if you are that confused, the processor isn't gunna make a difference.. you'l have burned your studio down before you use it..

Yea fo real, you're actually better off with the AMD from what I hear, but I'm not gonna get into that... Trust us, you'll be perfectly fine with the AMD.

Celerons are fine if you arent taxing the processor (in multitracking computers for instance). And they run cooler.

there is some debate between wheter and AMD XP/64 or Intel P4 is better. however, everyone pretty much agrees that Celeron is worthless. it suffers mainly from an insufficient cache.

tech tv did a great show on amd versus intel.

they are virtually equal on almost all accounts from what i gathered.. but the new amd 64 out performed the high end p4's on everything except graphic usage. photoshop and illustrator seemed to run better on the p4's... but the benchmarks they had on their site were almost identical for everything.

i can certainly recommend amd because im running a dual processor amd unit and it just SMOKES any of my friends' computers. amd is generally less expensive too... which is a major plus obviously.

just realize this fact..

AMD CPU's get physically hotter faster then a P4 cpu. i know that might sound weird but i have seen some crazy **** with them in my day [ie: melted plastic around the cpu].

you've been warned

Pentium 4's get as hot as AMD processors.

The Athlon 1400+ processor did get very hot indeed. With the transition to .13 micron processes newer Barton processors shouldn't get too hot even with a stock heatsink.

Pentium 4's get as hot as AMD processors.

Not true! My P4 runs at 95 degrees fahrenheit under a load, my friends P4 runs at 85 degrees fahrenheit under a load. What does your AMD run at under a load?

Most recording software at least Cubase recommends using the pentium over the AMD, Why? Because it can handle more instructions per second.

I heard some horror stories about the AMD, I would go with the pentium but make sure your M/B has an intel chipset.

Hope this helps.

My Barton 2800+ runs pretty hot.:D But that's because I have a stock heatsink/fan combo that is rated for a slower processor.:D But it's quiet though, my other cooler was way louder.

And AMD's don't clock higher but they perform better clock for clock. If it wasn't for the introduction of the 64 bit processors from AMD, the performance between the top-end Intel and top-end AMD would be about even.

ccwinstone.gif

AMD technology is better than Pentium, so... why it runs faster with some applications and slower than P4 for others? Applications are optimized for one of the two processors, and what does this mean? Microchip's manufactures make agreements with software development companies, so they give them the full specifications of their chips and then soft companies can optimize their soft to run faster with that chips ( can you remember 'Pentium IV optimized' stickers?) so the application runs with both chips, but is optimized for one of them. So, before you decide what chip to buy, look for how the apps that you are gonna use runs with each chip: you'll see very differents benchmarks changing only the version of one applicacion (Cubase 1.6 Cubase 2.0) using same tech specifiactions. Look for other products benchmarks too to see the diffs.

This applies with the most of the most famous apps: Cubase, Windows!, 3D Studio, Autocad, Quake!... All that MONSTER apps that you know are optimized ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back