Cant be loud. Suggestions?

S

Subpar

Hello, I have a problem...

K, so, I'm new to producing, use software (reason, cubase (not well), cool edit pro 2.0, and sometimes ACID) and really dont have any sutible speakers for mixing/producing/mastering/whatever. I have some sony headphones oriented for a CD Player... They arent TOO bad though, have a nice response for what they are (Im not sure, but im guessing it goes down to 40Hz).

BUT they just arent right for what im doing (beats, like everyone else) I got my **** rolling and want to make it sound as good as possible, which I CAN do. The biggest limitation I have right now is my headphones. I have to press them to my ears to really hear how loud the bass is, otherwise I have to turn it up majorly and it gets muddled.

and another thing, i cant be loud...

I do my work at night. and I have people sleeping above me, with no insulation or anything on my ceiling, just boards, so basically any sound transmits up to there. I was thinking about getting some really nice sounding, but flat sounding, headphones. Professional quality, more than required response, and whatever else... Think this is a good idea? Do they even make any headphones 'flat' sounding like you would get out of a pair of studio monitors? Any suggestions?

referrence headphones are out there
i'd suggest Beyer Dynamic as a good make to look at the DT100s or DT250s are nice. While this will allow you to work well enough when putting beats together i'd forget trying to mix and do anything "final" on any headphones. You need to play music on decent monitor speakers at a reasonable volume to understand how the track is gonna sound to everyone else...

:)

MM

Excellent advice. Great for detail but not for the final mix as true stereo imaging is pronounced so what seems to be exactly right in terms of pan and volume, once used on monitors, will show a dramatic difference.
Messy's right about Beyer's as well, DT250 or 770, although there are many others as well, AKG and the like. I use 250s as they are not coloured and what I hear is what is there.

Re the gain from the headphone: are you connecting direct to your computer or mixer? If computer, you can set the headphone levels within the computer, for mixer, just use the headphone socket and make sure the gain is set to unity.

or you could spend a grand or 2 on accoustic foam. :p you could fire a cannon in a roam with accoustic foam and the people upstairs wouldnt hear it. youre only problem would be the vibrations from your subwoofers.. you could always suspend them from the ceiling. :D

Back