Can Somebody help me wit my setup

justblaze

Future of Hip Hop
Whatz up Fp herz what i basicly have...
1.Mpc 2000
2.Gemini Xl 100
3.Mixer
4.Home receiver(to play my mpc and turntable

Herz what i wanna do upgrade my turntables and mixer cuz they hum no matter what i do...Build a Pc and get pro tools digi 002r...I eed sumthin for bass so i was gon try and cop the asr 10...cuz alchemist is the ****t when it comes to his basslines...sum monitors cuz im tired of playing everything through my home reciever...
Is there anything else that i would need to buy like any suggestions on things a hip hop producer needs...

If you're just starting out I'd avoid funneling a lot of money into your equipment since you might change your mind halfway through and want another piece of gear.

I'd stick to VSTi's and software-based synthesizers to begin with (although I think this is the direction everybody will be going in the next 5 years). I'm a little partial to not using a lot of outboard synths and samplers since, to me, it can be really counterproductive if you don't really know the gear that well. I tend to learn softsynths quicker so I tend to stick with them...

..sorry, getting off point.

It sounds as if your tables aren't grounded well/right. I think even the cheapest tables have a grounding cable that hooks to the mixer. Check it and see.

If you're a newbie to computer sequencers I'd go with Cakewalk's Sonar or even Acid Pro 4.0. Yes, the pros use ProTools but I've heard amazing stuff done with more simplified programs. The learning curve on the above-mentioned is so small compared to ProTools (and a lot less expensive).

I had an ASR10 for a little while but didn't have time to play around with it but a friend of mine swears by it. Again, if you're more comfortable with hardware, it's a good choice for samplers.

I've got Alesis M1 Active MK II's and they're great. And for the money you can't go wrong.

Here's what I'd do:

Fix your table/mixer problem
Get some MK IIs
Build a fast PC (P4 2.4 ghz pref.)
Get a decent soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is perfect)
Get Sonar or similar product (Cool Edit Pro, Acid Pro 4.0)
Look into the softsynths available. A lot of them rival the sound from hardware costing twice as much.

Hope that helps.

I got around this, by buying all my outboard gear, and just a basic pc for recording, with ACID PRo 4.0 and Soundforge. I learned the intricacies of my MS2000B, learned to program my mc-303 etc. Spent about four months playing with all thew features, all the while planning what software i was going to get. I do live shows, and like it or not, the crowd just isnt ass impressed when they hear a sample playing from your pc (the audience doesnt know about soft synths in general, so when they see one keybpard controlling everything, they think you're just triggering store-bought samples (providing the audience knows about store bought samples)or mixing with a bunch of acid loops. When they see all your gear on stage, they think "Man, this guys a pro! Look at all that gear!" and while you still need plenty of talent to back all that up, hardware will never die off completely. It will simply become the tools of the more well-off producers, and vstis will become synonomous with newbies,and low budget groups. If you can afford it, I've never met someone who was dissapointed with thier mpc, although I hear there is a learning curve. Don't expect to become Dre overnight! But as for synths, at least one hardware synth to start out would be a smart move, even if you plan to be more 'sample-centric', Might I suggest an MS200b, since you can easily afford one, and it has an almost unlimited range of sound. Then balance out your setup with a few choice vsts (Arturia's Moog Modular V, or CS-80, or rgc Audio's +z3ta synth, especially check out my current virtual fav, GMedia's impOSCar(it's seriously the fattest i've heard so far). Good luck with your studio, let us know if you have any other ideas for what you might like to aim for (with nine grand you can pretty much start with any two peices of equipment you want!).

Manphet

Back