Can just a few bass traps and first reflector points go a long way?

crimsonhawk47

I was told by pro mixer chris carter that getting bass traps in my studio and first reflector points would get me 95% of the way with my mixing. Is that true?

I have been trying to mix for months and it just doesn't come out right.

yes, nailing the bass problems and the first reflection points will improve your mix situation no end

but given your room (shared in another thread) you may need to do some remodeling first to remove all the little resonance boxes

It is unfortunate. But I will probably move out fall of 2014 so this is all temporary. Might as well get it as good as I can get it. Maybe use that acoustic analyzer software to close a little more of the gap

Actually I just got the greenlight to take them out. They say unscrew it but I think I'm just going to take a fire axe while listening to Beethoven's 5th.

thank you alex - don't do it unscrew them your dad may have unspoken plans to use them elsewhere.......

just that, they are resonant slots tuned to a specific frequency - I'll come back with the actual numbers

plus you can use them to make a multi level frequency absorber by dropping mini trap boards of various lengths along their length (might be overkill)

As you can see, I don't have that last shelf out. It's really wedged in there, and would actually require chopping it in half to get it out, because the desk was built around it. Could I just cover it up and turn it into a wanna be narnia closet?

Oh and also where should I place the speakers with the shelves out? Because you alluded to a new spot in that really old post when I first brought this up.

Back