can I soundproof my entire apartment?

NIGHTWING

I just live in a studio apt. no bed rooms just one main living area. that's the entire apt minus the the small hallway that leads to the front door and the bathroom.

I have 2 corners to work with. the place is basically just a box. I was thinking hey I'm going to put my gear in one corner and the mic in the other. I have no closet space. can I just put that grey soundproofing on all the walls in the living space. I'm not going for perfection if ever record some vocals, but I think I may get the desired effect in quality AND subduing the thin walls of my apt from not just music but sex noises LoL! , and I personally think it would look good.

good idea? bad idea?

also how hard is it to get the soundproof off the walls. I want to retain the value of the apt.

To properly soundproof your apartment would take a lot of work, work your landlord probably wouldn't let you do. Not to mention the amount of space it would take.

But what i think your talking about is the acoustic foam? that not soundproofing, and it would make almost no difference. You might as well be using egg crates for all the good it would do you.

NIGHTWING said:
also how hard is it to get the soundproof off the walls. I want to retain the value of the apt.

Pretty easy. You just completely tear apart the soundproofed wall and put the "normal wall" that you tore out earlier back.

In the current market it would be cheaper to buy a house plus the 3 surrounding homes that to fully soundproof your apartment.

NIGHTWING said:
I just live in a studio apt. no bed rooms just one main living area. that's the entire apt minus the the small hallway that leads to the front door and the bathroom.

I have 2 corners to work with. the place is basically just a box. I was thinking hey I'm going to put my gear in one corner and the mic in the other. I have no closet space. can I just put that grey soundproofing on all the walls in the living space. I'm not going for perfection if ever record some vocals, but I think I may get the desired effect in quality AND subduing the thin walls of my apt from not just music but sex noises LoL! , and I personally think it would look good.

good idea? bad idea?

Yeah, all the other posters are right. There's a big difference between soundproofing and acoustic treatment, and what you're talking about is acoustic treatment. While it'll make the space sound better, it won't do a single thing in terms of reducing sound transmission in or out of the apartment. Sorry.

Frank

If you're trying to reduce sound, you need to think in terms of exterior type walls. Wood, insulation, drywall, double paned glass. Would acoustic foam block out the sound of a passing train? No.

If you *really* want to block out noise, look up Audiology Rooms. Those places are *dead* quiet. I don't know if they would make good recording places though.

Back