calibrating studio monitors for dummies

D

Derrick Foreal

can anyone possibly give me a how to, step-by-step, numbered approach to calibrating my studio monitors to give me the most accurate playback. I was told id need a spl meter but with all this tech. i feel there has to be a way to this with software or a plug-in. Please be as specific as possible and if its not possible with the spl meter can you give the step by step of how to do it with the meter. Ill just go buy one. I know this is an important step for anyone who is serious about their mixes.

Eqiuptment:

m-box 2 mini (not the new avid one)
Macbook pro
Event 20/20p monitors (love these)
Logic, protools etc. ( i prefer logic)

As far as I know just do it by ear...

First start off by hard panning something in your DAW hard left and then hard right to make sure your stereo imaging is right (if it's not, i.e. you're panning your snare completely left and it's playing in your right speaker then just switch the two cables around between output 1 and 2 of your interface)

And then just make sure they're both playing at equal volume.

I'm not a professional at it, but that's how I've always thought it was done

heres the thing if my speakers are facing me would the panning be inverted ( meaning if i pan right if should pan to the monitor on my left hand side) ?

No, as your speakers face you (turned in towards the center slightly), right information will be on the right, left on the left.

As to volume calibration, the simplest way for a single set of speakers really is with an spl meter. Just go to Radio Shack and get an inexpensive one. It may have settings for various standards ("A", "B" and "C"); use "A."

The optimal volume range (on the loud end) of things is between 85-90dB. Sit or stand where you will be mixing (the "sweet spot"), point the meter, and adjust the volume as close to 85 on the spl meter as possible. Mark the spot on your main speakers volume control. Boomph-- Calibrated.

Of course, that is just the volume and panning, using your own reference CD of songs. A pro would do a lot more, using test tones and white and pink noise.
It's also assumed that your mixing room is treated and tuned (or will be swiftly once your speaker volume is dialed in); the best mixes come from rooms treated to be as nuetral as possible with speaker set-ups calibrated to those rooms. But the quick and dirty is as outlined above. Try to get as close to 85dB as possible; if you monitor too loudly, your mixes will fool you, and your ears will become stressed/unable to perceive important changes. Ear-fatigue happens a lot faster at high listening volumes.

GJ

No, as your speakers face you (turned in towards the center slightly), right information will be on the right, left on the left.

As to volume calibration, the simplest way for a single set of speakers really is with an spl meter. Just go to Radio Shack and get an inexpensive one. It may have settings for various standards ("A", "B" and "C"); use "A."

The optimal volume range (on the loud end) of things is between 85-90dB. Sit or stand where you will be mixing (the "sweet spot"), point the meter, and adjust the volume as close to 85 on the spl meter as possible. Mark the spot on your main speakers volume control. Boomph-- Calibrated.

Of course, that is just the volume and panning, using your own reference CD of songs. A pro would do a lot more, using test tones and white and pink noise.
It's also assumed that your mixing room is treated and tuned (or will be swiftly once your speaker volume is dialed in); the best mixes come from rooms treated to be as nuetral as possible with speaker set-ups calibrated to those rooms. But the quick and dirty is as outlined above. Try to get as close to 85dB as possible; if you monitor too loudly, your mixes will fool you, and your ears will become stressed/unable to perceive important changes. Ear-fatigue happens a lot faster at high listening volumes.

GJ

is there anyway to calibrate using any of the plug ins within logic?

What Krushing said, silly...

Radio Shack. $25-$50. SPL Meter. 85 is the Magic Number.

GJ

"Why would I go to the trouble to explain all of that, if you could press a virtual button in Logic and twirl around three times and it's done??!??!?"

Mark Twain

i guess thats true but i though i could maybe just use the built in mic on my macbook pro with logic open or maybe another downloaded program- something like that but thanks anyway

No. This is about the physical properties in your room - no software alone can do it and I doubt the frequency response of the built in mic is flat enough to be useful for this. Not to mention having to swing the MBP around the room when making measurements...

Hello!

The settings on the back of the speaker are mostly for some small room correction. For example, if your mixes are coming out too bright, turn the high frequency level adjustment up a dB or two. This will help you realize to roll off or mix higher frequencies quieter. These speaker adjustments on the back are not meant to be tuned to much - they aren't very specific. They are just for easy adjustment to your own mixing style and how you can get stuff done. As another example, if your bass is weak in your mixes, take the low shelf down a bit so you end up boosting it a little more in the mix.

However, +/- 1dB at the tweeter will not do much to alter the overall sound of the speakers. They are very minor adjustments. Room treatment will make a much larger difference in your room. Just to state it - typical studio monitors usually differ by about +/-2dB throughout the whole frequency spectrum till they cut off. However, an untreated room is typically +/-15dB. Obviously a much larger difference - we've seen some rooms up to +/-25dB. Acoustic treatment is much more of a night and day difference than turning a high shelf up one decibel.

ok well im not really able to treat the room im in- so i listened to some of my fav mixes both through the monitors as well as a pair of pretty respectable headphones - and then adjusted the HF/LF trim.

Back