buying a single monitor speaker?

B

BASSINVADA

its time for me to invest something into monitoring equipment since ive been mixing on hifi speakers since i began making musik.
since im on a budget i plan to buy a single monitor, since my music is electro and will allmost ever be played over mono systems in clubs.
therefor i think its just a waste of money to buy a pair of speakers.
and as i read throu the internet jungle of info i often stumble over the claim that its important to listen to many systems as possible.
therefor i plan to buy 1 prodype 8 speaker and 1 fostex pm2 speaker.
i just dont know how to place them.
i want to put one (one at the time) right in front of me but there is my tft.

what do you think?

i know its very unusual but i just dont need that stereo crap for clubsmashers!

Most clubs I know of have stereo PA systems (I've designed and installed several myself). The lows will be summed to mono below around 300Hz (of course) but the majority of the systems I see (hear) are all stereo.

Can't even remember the last mono system I encountered actually...

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Most clubs I know of have stereo PA systems (I've designed and installed several myself). The lows will be summed to mono below around 300Hz (of course) but the majority of the systems I see (hear) are all stereo.

Can't even remember the last mono system I encountered actually...

news to me, but i believe you!
you seem to work in clubs very often, hmm?
so how much should i look for mono campatibility of my tracks?
do you think this is an old myth that it should sound good in mono first and then add some stereo magic to your material?

the kity whisperer said:
My suggestion is to aquire a nice pair of headphones and save for a proper pair of monitors.

Why would he buy headphones??? From my understanding you are never supposed to mix on headphones.

BASSINVADA said:
news to me, but i believe you!
you seem to work in clubs very often, hmm?
so how much should i look for mono campatibility of my tracks?
do you think this is an old myth that it should sound good in mono first and then add some stereo magic to your material?
I don't work in clubs, but I've designed systems for several clubs.

For sure, mono compatibility is important - And I tend to start mixes in mono and worry about panning later. But as most electronica more or less "starts" in stereo, you could probably be content simply consulting the mono button regularly.

Back