Buying a rubbermaid shed to use as vocal booth?

P

P.B.P

What do u guys thimk? You know those plastic portible sheds u can put togrther? I was thinkin about puttin it in my basement, and insulating it for a vocal booth. Have u guys thought about this?

btownpro said:
Out of curiousity, what are the dimensions? I am interested in making a vocal booth too....

Basically they come in all sizes and shapes, some even come with a window built it. And its plastic so its easy to put one together. Look them up on homedepot.com or sumthin.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccfhaddjefhkjljcgelceffdfgidglo.0&MID=9876

Only 398.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccfhaddjefhkjljcgelceffdfgidglo.0&MID=9876

didnt work

Look up this shed on homedepot.com - Arrow
Yardsaver 4 Ft. x 7 Ft.

Model YS47

Price: $305.00/ea

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you spend $300 plus on a shed when you can build a good vocal booth with 2x4's,sound insulation, and double sheetrock for cheaper then that?

A shed can be outside...

Add siding and roofing materials to that booth you speak of, and it could easily double in price...

It seems to me that a plastic shed would have some sound issues when it comes to moving around or accidentally hitting a wall or something...

I found this thread interesting back when it was new, it's too bad not many people have replied to it...

He was talking about putting it in a basement though, not outside.....i don't know why anyone would spend that much on a shed and put it in a basement....you can build 2 walls in the corner of a basement for pretty cheap.

I'm not sure where everyone got the idea that a vocal booth was the cool thing to have. Most of the major studios I've been in only use booths for voice-over. Singing is done is a relatively big room with gobos around the singer.

Recording voices in a small space is more problematic, and therefore needs more acoustic treatment to remedy the problems of recording in a small space.

By the time you take the plastic shed and put enough 703 in it to abosorb the sound of the plastic, you may as well have just treated your basement. (which would be the best idea)

You are better off spending those bones on some 703 on both walls of a corner, and record facing the center of the room.

AbsurdNY said:
He was talking about putting it in a basement though, not outside.....i don't know why anyone would spend that much on a shed and put it in a basement....you can build 2 walls in the corner of a basement for pretty cheap.

Ahh, yes, if that's the case, then yeah, you're right on!

Back