Buying a drum kit.

I have never purchased a drum kit, i'm sure there are SOME quality one's out there, but probably not too many, and alot of them are just replicas of others with ---Insert Producer Name Here---- stamped on it. There are just too many free ones out there. But if I were to purchase a drum kit. It would be from Here:

The Drum Sample Broker - Hip Hop Drum Samples, Drum Sounds, Hip Hop Drum Kits, Break Beats, TR-80

because the actual producers are selling them on there.

Good Free Ones Here:

Epik The Dawn - No Poopy Drums Vol.1 | NOIS3.COM

Sound Kit Download | OVO Boi-1da

I meant a physical drum kit but I agree, I would never pay for samples. I got tons of awesome kits from Free Drum Kits, Free Sound Kits, Free Sound Samples and most sound better then the ones you got to pay for. I mean I downloaded some Vengeance packs (which I sfound out are border line useless) off of TPB to check out the quality and content and deleted them a week later because they sucked.

Lol, i didnt even click on the amazon link, you confused me by saying drum kit, drum set would have made it more clear. My Bad

Lol, i didnt even click on the amazon link, you confused me by saying drum kit, drum set would have made it more clear. My Bad

:) My bad as well for the incorrect vocab. I downloaded the first kit you linked to (second one isn't working?). Does either have acoustic tom samples? I have yet to find a halfway decent set of tom samples.

I know the epik Kit has an acoustic folder in it for sure, the boi 1-da kit is filled with mad sounds and samples he has used on his tracks, and they're pretty much sporadic so I couldnt tell you but im sure there are some in there

Last edited:
I wanna buy a drum kit but don't wanna lay down a lot of cash right away

If I bought this kit (I know it won't be great) could I just slowly replace heads, and cymbals and have it sound good?

Amazon.com : Mendini MDS80-GN Complete Full Size Senior 5-Piece 6-Ply Birch Wood Green Drum Set with Cymbals, Drumsticks and Throne : Musical Instruments

Thanks for the help :):):)

Your cymbals will need to be of much better quality than what comes with this - look Zildjian, Paiste, Meinl, SChalloch (expensive to affordable)

As for the kit, save your money and spend at least a grand if not 2k, Start with the pearl forum or export series and work your way up to ludwig or gretsch or yamaha or similar high end kits. Regardless of the kit you get, you will need to replace all of the skins (heads) with Evans heads or similar high end spec'd heads.

Drum kit is an accepted term for the collection of drums used by a drummer in a band; has been for more than 80 years.

The word set is usually used in the following manner:

"a set of drums" not "a drumset", although I have heard the latter more often than I care to correct

It is only of late with the advent of armchair producers and their inherent laziness that we hear the term drumkit as reference to the set or collection of samples they use in creating drummer like backings

so save it and come to a decision with more time on your hands (never hurts to save anyway)

Save For a better kit, The worst thing is for a drummer to have a bad kit.. firstly it sounds horrible, secondly if you become good you will want to swap it in 5 mins.. To get good sounding drums you need good wood. Id say buy a second hand one for now man. You don't have to spend 2k to have a good kit.
i been drumming for years

look at pearl they make reliable kits a lot of the time

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are saying that if you don't have a good drumkit to start with you can never make it sound decent by replacing heads and cymbals for better quality ones?
Why is this? Is the shell of a drum more important than the skin?

Last edited:
it is a combination of factors

in most cases the shells in the cheaper kits are made from softwood laminates or
- a combination of softwood and hardwood laminates
- rather than straight hardwood laminates,
so do not have the necessary stiffness to vibrate and resonate in the same fashion, as a more expensive kit does.

the skins are simply the surface that sets the air column inside the shell into vibration
- cheap skins will damage more easily and lose their ability to both resonate and hold their tuning more quickly
- expensive skins will damage less easily and tend to hold their tuning more readily

a further factor is the hardware used to attach the skins to the shells
- light, composite materials are more likely in cheap kits
-- in my experience, this type of hardware damages easily and tends to develop metal fatigue problems far more readily
-- because they are light the degree to which energy is transferred from the skins to the rims to the shell is less
- solid, weighty materials (like brass) are used in the more expensive kits,
-- leading to a more substantial transfer of the energy from skin to shell via the fixings as well as the vibrating air inside the shell

Back