Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Building a Studio With No Walls

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Building a Studio With No Walls

    Sign in to disable this ad
    So I am moving out of my apartment today, where I had the PERFECT room for a home studio. It was my first time putting a studio together and the size of the room made it super easy. Now, however, I'm moving into a place with no extra room to make as a studio so I'm stuck with making one in my room. My room is fairly big so I was wondering if there was a way to make the studio in the corner of the room. I'm not sure exactly how to close it off from the rest of the room. So is there a way to create a little soundproof booth inside my room? Hopefully this isn't a ridiculous thought.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    20,196
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 638 Times in 435 Posts
    dimensions 1st

    as for building/creating a booth possible; you can even buy them precut like ikea and then put them together

    but overall room dimensions 1st and then advice on what to do next
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There are several things you can do here buddy!
    First; I would try to find the most parallel spot in the room, so that your studio isn't stuffed up in a corner, as corners usually boost low-frequencies a lot and makes it hard to mix. I can't tell if your room has any possibilty of placing your studio in a parallel position at all, however try to get it away from corners and such. Since we're talking one large room, I'd suggest you to get some foam acoustic panels. Place them around the whole room - at least one 1m x 1m of foam on each wall I'd say. Try to even it all up - balance the sound. You can get several foam panels for under 100 dollars a lot of places, such as Thomann Cyberstore.

    Room dimensions also matter a lot!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    20,196
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 638 Times in 435 Posts
    buying treatment before you know what you are treating is like putting your money in the toilet and flushing - a waste of money

    secondly parallel surfaces are the worst thing you want in a room and putting yourself so that you are at the midpoint on the width and length of the room is double-trouble as you will be at peak resonant point on both dimensions, meaning that you will cut the resonant frequencies of those dimensions when mixing to compensate for the natural boost due to the room position

    I again ask for the room dimensions before I offer any concrete advice - advice as to what to treat and how to treat it

    a floor plan of what you currently have in your room and their physical dimensions would also be a bonus in helping identify where we can put your workstation and speakers as well as the rest of your furniture

    see this as well https://www.futureproducers.com/foru...treatment.html for an overview of the base issues to what you are trying to deal with
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    568
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why not just buy a portable vocal booth?


    se-electronics-reflexion-filter-x-angle_ex_demo_2_1-jpg


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8697-jay-z-kanye-west-jpg  
    Last edited by Major Scale; 12-14-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    <<<<<< Need Beats?? Click Link

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    dimensions 1st

    as for building/creating a booth possible; you can even buy them precut like ikea and then put them together

    but overall room dimensions 1st and then advice on what to do next
    I will be there later tonight so I can get the dimensions then. What exactly do you need number wise? Just dimensions of the whole room?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Scale View Post
    Why not just buy a portable vocal booth?


    se-electronics-reflexion-filter-x-angle_ex_demo_2_1-jpg
    because I like quality. I suppose I could buy one of those as well

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    20,196
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 638 Times in 435 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by $uni View Post
    I will be there later tonight so I can get the dimensions then. What exactly do you need number wise? Just dimensions of the whole room?
    Height x width x length

    floor plan of furniture and expected positions for them with simple length by width and maybe height
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcoach View Post
    buying treatment before you know what you are treating is like putting your money in the toilet and flushing - a waste of money

    secondly parallel surfaces are the worst thing you want in a room and putting yourself so that you are at the midpoint on the width and length of the room is double-trouble as you will be at peak resonant point on both dimensions, meaning that you will cut the resonant frequencies of those dimensions when mixing to compensate for the natural boost due to the room position

    I again ask for the room dimensions before I offer any concrete advice - advice as to what to treat and how to treat it

    a floor plan of what you currently have in your room and their physical dimensions would also be a bonus in helping identify where we can put your workstation and speakers as well as the rest of your furniture

    see this as well https://www.futureproducers.com/foru...treatment.html for an overview of the base issues to what you are trying to deal with
    I didn't know that!
    Thanks a lot for the information bandcoach

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    H/W/L = 103.5" x 126" x 192"

    Floor plan: i have 2 couches, and I planning on putting the studio behind the couch going the width of the room. So the available dimensions for the studio are 103.5 x 126" x 42"

    Sorry for taking so long to get the dimensions, moving out sucks :/ and if this didn't help I can take pictures of the room for ya

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •