Building a Studio With No Walls

$

$uni

So I am moving out of my apartment today, where I had the PERFECT room for a home studio. It was my first time putting a studio together and the size of the room made it super easy. Now, however, I'm moving into a place with no extra room to make as a studio so I'm stuck with making one in my room. My room is fairly big so I was wondering if there was a way to make the studio in the corner of the room. I'm not sure exactly how to close it off from the rest of the room. So is there a way to create a little soundproof booth inside my room? Hopefully this isn't a ridiculous thought.

dimensions 1st

as for building/creating a booth possible; you can even buy them precut like ikea and then put them together

but overall room dimensions 1st and then advice on what to do next

There are several things you can do here buddy!
First; I would try to find the most parallel spot in the room, so that your studio isn't stuffed up in a corner, as corners usually boost low-frequencies a lot and makes it hard to mix. I can't tell if your room has any possibilty of placing your studio in a parallel position at all, however try to get it away from corners and such. Since we're talking one large room, I'd suggest you to get some foam acoustic panels. Place them around the whole room - at least one 1m x 1m of foam on each wall I'd say. Try to even it all up - balance the sound. You can get several foam panels for under 100 dollars a lot of places, such as Thomann Cyberstore.

Room dimensions also matter a lot!

buying treatment before you know what you are treating is like putting your money in the toilet and flushing - a waste of money

secondly parallel surfaces are the worst thing you want in a room and putting yourself so that you are at the midpoint on the width and length of the room is double-trouble as you will be at peak resonant point on both dimensions, meaning that you will cut the resonant frequencies of those dimensions when mixing to compensate for the natural boost due to the room position

I again ask for the room dimensions before I offer any concrete advice - advice as to what to treat and how to treat it

a floor plan of what you currently have in your room and their physical dimensions would also be a bonus in helping identify where we can put your workstation and speakers as well as the rest of your furniture

see this as well https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/content/55-sound-proofing-versus-sound-treatment.html for an overview of the base issues to what you are trying to deal with

Why not just buy a portable vocal booth?

se-electronics-reflexion-filter-x-angle_ex_demo_2_1.jpg

8697-jay-z-kanye-west.jpg

Attachments

• 8697-jay-z-kanye-west.jpg
    8697-jay-z-kanye-west.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
dimensions 1st

as for building/creating a booth possible; you can even buy them precut like ikea and then put them together

but overall room dimensions 1st and then advice on what to do next

I will be there later tonight so I can get the dimensions then. What exactly do you need number wise? Just dimensions of the whole room?

I will be there later tonight so I can get the dimensions then. What exactly do you need number wise? Just dimensions of the whole room?

Height x width x length

floor plan of furniture and expected positions for them with simple length by width and maybe height

buying treatment before you know what you are treating is like putting your money in the toilet and flushing - a waste of money

secondly parallel surfaces are the worst thing you want in a room and putting yourself so that you are at the midpoint on the width and length of the room is double-trouble as you will be at peak resonant point on both dimensions, meaning that you will cut the resonant frequencies of those dimensions when mixing to compensate for the natural boost due to the room position

I again ask for the room dimensions before I offer any concrete advice - advice as to what to treat and how to treat it

a floor plan of what you currently have in your room and their physical dimensions would also be a bonus in helping identify where we can put your workstation and speakers as well as the rest of your furniture

see this as well https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/content/55-sound-proofing-versus-sound-treatment.html for an overview of the base issues to what you are trying to deal with

I didn't know that!
Thanks a lot for the information bandcoach :)

H/W/L = 103.5" x 126" x 192"

Floor plan: i have 2 couches, and I planning on putting the studio behind the couch going the width of the room. So the available dimensions for the studio are 103.5 x 126" x 42"

Sorry for taking so long to get the dimensions, moving out sucks :/ and if this didn't help I can take pictures of the room for ya

can I have a drawing of the rooms floor layout please

Initial responses are that you need to consider bass traps in the range 35Hz-92Hz

HeightWidthLengthSpeed of Sound
8.62510.5161130 fps
VolumeAxial modes of resonance
DimensionHWL
Frequency53.8170.6335.31
Tangential modes of resonance
DimensionHWHLWL
Frequency84.7764.3674.42
Oblique modes of resonance
DimensionHWL
Frequency91.83

there will be whole multiple resonances of each of these frequencies (i.e. multiply by the counting numbers)

I need the floor plan to know where the first reflection diffusion needs to go

Last edited:
can I have a drawing of the rooms floor layout please

I need the floor plan to know where the first reflection diffusion needs to go

Does this work? floorplan.JPG
Studio would go in the rectangular space behind the black couch

that's a tough room to layout

where are your speakers going to be?

are you going to set up in the traditional equilateral triangle between speaker cones and your head i.e. 60[sup]o[/sup] angle between the cones your right and left ears - what distance will that be?

that's a tough room to layout

where are your speakers going to be?

are you going to set up in the traditional equilateral triangle between speaker cones and your head i.e. 60[SUP]o[/SUP] angle between the cones your right and left ears - what distance will that be?

yeah i know, tell me about it ha. Distance would be 67"

so first problem is going to be that your head is going to be 16" the other side of that black couch if you maintain the equilateral triangle - getting rid of the black couch might be good, would also offset the issues cited below.

second problem is that this positioning assumes the speakers are against the wall; never considered to be a good thing

leaving the black couch in position and the desk and speakers right against the wall you could do the following

placement of first reflection diffusers should be centered at 24.9" along the long walls from the wall where the door is, at the same height as the speaker cones

additional diffusers could be placed at

51.1" centered along the long walls from the wall where the speakers are located and
14.4" centered along the short wall with the door from both the sides and
44.7" centered on the same wall

Your bass traps should be designed to cover the range 35Hz to 100Hz to capture and tame the broad range of first mode resonances - one in each corner

see

Recording Drums - click on all tabs to get the full lowdown

Steven P. Helm: DIY Bass Traps

take the couch out and the figures all change

let me know

Last edited:
rear of the desk is 422.0mm off the back wall more or less making your listening position 1898.5mm into the room for the wall (door at your back)

first reflection points will be at 208.7mm in from the door-wall on the long walls (this will most likely be inside of the zone for the bass traps that you would put in the corners here, so you would extend the diffuser so that it meets the bass trap but does not overlap) and 505.3mm in from the side walls on the wall you are facing

second points of reflection will be at 120.5mm in from the long walls along the door-wall (again inside of any bass trap that you are likely to put into the corners, though on the door side, putting a bass trap in this may be a problem) and 875.1mm along the long walls from the front wall

conversions
422.0mm16.6"
208.7mm8.2"
505.3mm19.9"
120.5mm4.7"
875.1mm35.5"

Back