Building a studio and i'm down to my last problem

J

JnS

Hi!

Building a studio and i'm down to my last problem^^
I need to build a "monitor holder" and place them on my wall..
exacly how far from each other should each monitor be placed?
Should the damping be pressed against the speakers backside or how many cm should i, if i should put them out?
Heard they should be "twisted" 90 decrees, true?
I'll uppload some pictures in a day or two Mabye you guys can help me adjust the room compensation accurat :))

Thanks in advance..
Here is my studio btw ^^

Mixer : Behringer XENYX 802
Synth : Old fatar
Studio monitors : Phonic p6a :D
Soundcard : Esi Juli@

Computer :
2600 + Athlon.
3x 512 Ddr 333 mhz.
400gb Hd.

Best placement for your mixing is the point where your head is the intersection point for your left and right speakers. find the spot where you are doing your most listening and tweaking. Position your speakers so their output crosses at that point. Engineers call it the sweet spot.

Also, for doing mixes, don't playback any louder than around 85db SPL. It's pretty loud and it won't give you distortions in your listening perception. Buy a SPL meter at Radio Shack for $20. Find that volume point and mix at that level. It will vastly improve your sound.

You don't want your speakers against a wall. You don't want them too close to a wall.

The space between them will be dictated by the distance from them. You want your head .38 away from the front wall - If the room is 15 feet deep, the mix position needs to be 5.7 feet from the wall. If the speakers are a foot from the wall (still too close, but better than right up against it) then they need to create an equilateral triangle of 4.7 feet.

I'd have them intersect at the crap spot in the room (at .5). You want them to intersect behind you - Not "at" you.

That all being said - Ikea makes a wall-mount TV holder that can be used pretty effectively as a speaker mount for rather small speakers. They need to be screwed into studs in a major way, and there will be a need for decoupling the speakers from the mounts - A few mouse pads at the minimum - Auralex MoPads wouldn't be overkill.

They pan, but they do NOT tilt - So the mounting position has to be established accurately *before* mounting. They're going to be at a slight angle - That angle has to work.

Photo - I actually have a photo of my old space with my D8.2's on those same Ikea mounts... There's server maintenance going on today - If it doesn't show, try again in a while...

Old photo:
db_The_old_room_-__Room_D_1.jpg

Much older photo, wider angle:
db_MassiveMasteringPhoto3.jpg

Thanks for the replays!!
Massive mastering not a bad studio you got, ****!!!

JnS said:
Uppdate your pic ^_^?
It's up here somewhere - I just linked the old one for the Ikea mounts.

Here's a shot of the new room -
db_Left_Angle2.jpg

That's actually an oder shot of this room - It's changed a little, but not an awful lot.

Thanks - :cheers:

The HVAC sucks a$$... Especially during transitional periods (like now).

And although I'm in love with the general scheme, it's a bit hard on the eyes after 8 or 9 hours... or 12 or 15 hours... I could make it brighter, but that also makes it hotter and as you already know, the HVAC sucks a$$. :bigeyes:

Sounds nice though. Once it cools off a little, I'm having the HVAC guys put a "power assist" in the main return near the amplifier. That should (in theory) draw around 400CFM slowliy and steadily for constant flow. Well, there already *is* constant flow (as the room is almost completely air-tight otherwise) but it's only around 100 CFM. Not nearly enough to keep up with just the heat from the main amp. It can easily be 10 degrees cooler right outside the door in the foyer with nothing other than the amp & DAWs running.

I don't mean to rant about it... I'm just sweating like a horse in here and I'm about to warm up 3 class "A" pieces for the next project. I might as well start basting myself.

Very nice!
Have to begin somewhere, im happy with my "studio" for now..
Altought it seems like my mixer is broken, left out to the sound card aint working!!!! ;((((

Yo Mane That Studio Would Be Ill To Work In And Make Sum Killa Musix Word Up Also Big Ups To Yall Who Hallen About Those Sites Word

Back