Building a "Studio-fit" computer

X

xplosve

Hi FP,

Right now I own a Compaq Presario, and I have no problems with it and everything but by this summer I want to start buying 'Studio-Perfect' items such as motherboards, drives etc. I want to know what I should buy and what's 'Top of the line' so I will not regret buying anything. My budget is about $1500 but if 'NEEDED' for this perfect studio comp. (wanna stay pc for now) then I can easily stretch to $2k. So could you guys give me a list or atleast ONe item that is 'Top of the Line' that should be bought for this comp. And I don't really know much about building computers so I might have a family member do it, but I just need to know the things to buy...thanks.

Hit me bak...payce

When I did my comp upgrade last summer I copped an Asus motherboard and a p4 chip. It works fine. I'm used to messing with computers though so I got it running clean. Asus is top of the line when it comes to motherboards btw. umm, I have several maxtor hd and they're great. Haven't had a problem yet. It all comes down to specs though. I should make a list. Holler back if you interested.

Wait until the new Intel CPU comes out (Prescott) before you buy so prices drop. It should be out in the next couple months, so building a computer around summer won't be a problem.

I built a comp this last summer thant was a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo, P4 2.8 GHz chip, WD Raptor HD's and lots of quality RAM. (Lots of other little goodies too)

I would recommend two WD Raptor hard drives - one for OS/programs, the other for audio projects - and one big storage drive. Also look into the Athlon64 chips as the specs on those have been tearing it up lately. Get as much *quality* RAM as you can buy. Get a nice HSF so your CPU stays cool. Pick out quiet fans (~20dB) so your computer isn't loud. Get a PSU with enough juice in case you want to get UAD-1 cards later (or something similar).

A great online store for computer parts is www.newegg.com. Also go to www.sharkyforums.com for a computer forum.

Once you make a list it will be a lot easier for people to suggest what direction to go.

Well in all honestly you should get a Mac...a G4 is only $1,200 right now! But if you are set on gettiong a PC you should get a dell, there is one in your price rand with a pentuium 4 that is pretty sweet!

RyanR said:
Wait until the new Intel CPU comes out (Prescott) before you buy so prices drop. It should be out in the next couple months, so building a computer around summer won't be a problem.

I built a comp this last summer thant was a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo, P4 2.8 GHz chip, WD Raptor HD's and lots of quality RAM. (Lots of other little goodies too)

I would recommend two WD Raptor hard drives - one for OS/programs, the other for audio projects - and one big storage drive. Also look into the Athlon64 chips as the specs on those have been tearing it up lately. Get as much *quality* RAM as you can buy. Get a nice HSF so your CPU stays cool. Pick out quiet fans (~20dB) so your computer isn't loud. Get a PSU with enough juice in case you want to get UAD-1 cards later (or something similar).

A great online store for computer parts is www.newegg.com. Also go to www.sharkyforums.com for a computer forum.

Once you make a list it will be a lot easier for people to suggest what direction to go.

Yo man, I practically got the same thing as you with my digi002r. Instead of Western Digital hard drives I went with Maxtor. Got a 128 mb video card (I think ATI) and 2 gigs of ram, I forgot.

stkee phl0 said:

Yo man, I practically got the same thing as you with my digi002r. Instead of Western Digital hard drives I went with Maxtor. Got a 128 mb video card (I think ATI) and 2 gigs of ram, I forgot.

Cool - yeah, I'm real happy with it. I got the Matrox P650 video card cause I have dual monitors. I also got 2 GB of corsair RAM too - the computer flys. I would really recommend the Raptor drive as an upgrade for ya - the sucker cooks.

How's that digi002r work with your computer? - I was thinking of getting that. You use PTLE as your sequencer?

Well me 3! bout 6 months ago i got tha Asus P4P800 Deluxe,P4 2.6ghz, 2 Maxtor 120gb,1 gb RAM, 128mb DUAL MONITOR video card(cant do without the Duals!!-huh ryanR :), and the pci cards etc... and my computer hasn't crashed, froze or even PCAV overloaded yet ONCE..

And yo Xplosive.. DUDE. DO NOT GET A DELL! those along with HP, sonyvaio, or any Circuit City type READY TO GO computers SUCK! And the truth is those companies load up those comps with LAME ass parts..ie they will stack up old 64 mb RAM till u gotta NEW DELL 256MB RAM blah blah...
Just my opinions

www.soundclick.com/riseproductions

RyanR said:

Cool - yeah, I'm real happy with it. I got the Matrox P650 video card cause I have dual monitors. I also got 2 GB of corsair RAM too - the computer flys. I would really recommend the Raptor drive as an upgrade for ya - the sucker cooks.

How's that digi002r work with your computer? - I was thinking of getting that. You use PTLE as your sequencer?

It's freaking great. I love the damn thing. Everything is in the sequencer including my fave program (Reason) and all my equipment is setup on the interface. Makes everything a lot easier.

Here's my Comp Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 478Pin 2.80GHz 512KB 800MHZ FSB Processor

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Pentium®4 478Pin (800FSB) DDR Motherboard

2x 1GB Certified 400Mhz PC3200 DDR

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB 7200RPM 8M Serial ATA Hard

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB 7200RPM 8M ATA Hard

ATI 128 mb video card

Sony DVD +/-Re/Writer

That's most of the important components.

BTW, what's the specs on the raptor drives?

Last edited:
I've got a case, and a handful of components sitting around... I'd like to build a computer.

I have a desktop P4 DAW, and a P3 laptop that I muck with and is mostly useful for MIDI... BUt I'd like to have another computer as a *test* machine... not nessacarily speced for Audio, but able to hold it's own would be good.

(I would use the DAW for recording, but I may want to use this as an effect station, or drum machine)

I need a Processor, Motherboard, and fan....
I'd like to keep the cost under $150 for all three.. but I'm not sure what works together.. if you have any tips let me know.

rise of epc said:

128mb DUAL MONITOR video card(cant do without the Duals!!-huh ryanR :)

You know it! After working with dual monitors now for a few years - I can't even imagine using only one. I almost went to three, but instead got a couple 21 inch LCDs :)

rise of epc said:

DO NOT GET A DELL! those along with HP, sonyvaio, or any Circuit City type READY TO GO computers SUCK! And the truth is those companies load up those comps with LAME ass parts..ie they will stack up old 64 mb RAM till u gotta NEW DELL 256MB RAM blah blah...
Just my opinions

I completely agree - stay away from "buy it at the store" computers if you want a quality DAW. You have no idea what parts they are skimping on in those . . . of course, Macs are the exception here.

stkee phl0 said:

BTW, what's the specs on the raptor drives?

They are 10,000 RPM SATA drives - the only non-SCSI drives that go above 7200 RPM. They also have a 8MB buffer & 5 year warranty. This all means faster seek times . . . imagine your OS moving faster than ever, as well as programs. Sounds pretty good, huh? I *definitely* recommend you use one for your OS/program drive.

You know it! After working with dual monitors now for a few years - I can't even imagine using only one. I almost went to three, but instead got a couple 21 inch LCDs

DAYAMMMMM!! whered u get those n how much they cost?? cupple Gs?

Back