Building a Studio Desk..

H

HighSchoolKid

where can i find info on how and what i need to build a quality studio desk? does anyone have a homemade studio desk with pics that i can check out or that can be posted? let me know please.

ConsolePic1.jpg

I built that desk myself out of 1/2" compressed wood and then painted it black. Yes I doodled all of the specs on paper before I even bought the wood. I had to change some things here and there as it was being built but it all worked out in the end. Its very sturdy and has about 300Lbs on it now. I even stand on it occassionally to clean the back of the computer screens from dust. So that adds another 170Lbs on it. Cost me about $150 in material and about a days work to build.

Or you can purchase a pro looking desk from argosy for about $1000 and change.

www.argosyconsole.com

Hey CubaseRox,

Can you post some more pics. I've been trying to get idea of what I want.

Your desk is dope.

Pe@ce

Yo cubase rox that desk is tight, you said it only took a day, for you to build it, was it hard and do you have the specs for it still

^^Thanks guys!

It was about a day to contruct the bulk of it. If you want me to be specific add about another day and a half to that for tweaking purposes.

Here is another angle.

There is more on the mikey cat link, but its down for now (should be back up soon).

I dont have the specs anymore, I threw the plans out. I jotted the design down on paper (built it off the measurements of the board and 2 - 19" rackmoounts on each side). I drew a picture of it (all angles) on paper of what I wanted it to look like before I cut the wood. I had to make some small adjustments as I was building it (had to re-inforce some spots).

I was going to formica it, but I didnt want to spend the money on that material and not even know if the desk could of been built. So I painted it flat black for now.

I used 1/2" compressed wood, bought the rackmount screw mounts. If you are going to try this on your own I would suggest you look at professional consoles and base your desk off of theirs. That would definitely help you in building your own.

Hope this helps guys.

CubaseRox said:
ConsolePic1.jpg

I built that desk myself out of 1/2" compressed wood and then painted it black.

www.argosyconsole.com

You should try turning your monitors so they stand striaght up and see if you like it better...Supposed to give a better stereo field representation, though monitors usually look better when layed on their side, which is I guess why alot of people do that-

Ebbiguise555 said:
You should try turning your monitors so they stand striaght up and see if you like it better...Supposed to give a better stereo field representation, though monitors usually look better when layed on their side, which is I guess why alot of people do that-

I thought about doing that, but then I was thinking "that it might not sound right". I will give it a try to see if it sounds different or better. I have them laying flat (not only because it looks better) but the tweeter and woofer are lined up evenly with my ears, whereas if they were upright the tweeter would sit a bit higher (above my ears) and I would assume that would throw my judgement off a bit. But I gonna give it an A/B test with the same song and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you hear that?

I just always assumed they were supposed to be on their sides personally, I never specifically heard that they should....I Probably just assumed so because of seeing pictures of NS-10's on their sides in tons of studios....But look at the big monitors they'll have or the ones they mount inside walls or suspend inside the studio...they'd never mount them on their sides inside the wall, atleast I've never seen any....Though you will see alot of near fields on their sides...Again, only because it looks cooler.

I had mine sitting on their sides for years, then I read a really in depth article in sound on sound telling me more than I ever wanted to know about monitors in all their technical glory. One thing which was stressed was the fact that its a better stereo representation with the speakers upright, and most are designed to be monitored like so.

Doesnt make a huge "wow" difference, but the sound definetly seemed to almost make a little more sense when I switched, so it was a nice change....Almost like "duh, yea that sounds a little better"....it just makes more sense really.

I'll see if that articles online tho-

Yo saulvb that is a nice desk where did you get it from, it seems just big enough to fit in my room.

Yo saul--im very very finnecky wit the wires man too many wires showing--i actually have like boxes and **** covering mine cause i have a desk that doesnt have a bottom...

^^ If you cant hide the wires you could try to neaten them up by tie-wrapping them or using that flexible ribbed hose to cover them.

The wires wont look so bad if they are neatly tied up. In fact it might add some decent character to the visual aspect of the studio. If the wires are neat looking. Especially if you use multi-colored tie-wraps etc.

Back