Building a Recording Studio...

JLoon219

ok me and my friends are trying to build a recording studio...we gonna use my friends MAC laptop he also uses for school work...but i was wonder in terms of building a great studio with awesome sound quality what should i get in terms of a Mic, Pre-Amp, software etc. im planing on spending no more then $1,000 or less

hahahaha. bt its true my man. what you looking 4 is just decent sound. maybe if you had one guy who was hectically into sound engineering than you guys could get some good sound bt other than that. ur gonna have 2 stick 2 what you can get

www.tweakheadz.com

D-ZEE said:
hahahaha. bt its true my man. what you looking 4 is just decent sound. maybe if you had one guy who was hectically into sound engineering than you guys could get some good sound bt other than that. ur gonna have 2 stick 2 what you can get

www.tweakheadz.com

damn...but can i please know a set up that can get me decent-great sound even if it does go over $1,000? i just wanna know like what do i need besides a Laptop, Preamp, & Mic?

Last edited:
my man 2 be honest with u. pre's, mixers and ish are needed just the start. u got figure out placement in the room 4 dynamics. uhmmmm wow thers so many things bt I'm in a rush so I can't get into hectic details bt how good your vocalist is and recording technique can go along way 2 get that "professional" sound. check the myspace sig. the track with the chick was recorded and mixed by me. its not professional but it gets the job done extremely well. l8r

Hi,

I know you hate when you ask a simple question and people dance around the answer. Telling you $1000.00 is not enough doesnt help you. I what kind of music will you be making?

Hi,

I know you hate when you ask a simple question and people dance around the answer. Telling you $1000.00 is not enough doesnt help you. what kind of music will you be making? If anything look for a decent sound library to start. Go with something that gives you a decent range of sounds to work from. I like NI instrument stuff so check them out. You want to invest in a nice sequencer. Since your using a mac look at LOGIC. The sound that come in it are pretty decent. As for a mic and pre amp you should talk to a music store rep. You see you cant afford a $1000 mic, and when you ask guys here for some reason they only give the most expensive gear as recomendations, which really makes no sense but this is FP. so you have to build your setup around what you can afford and upgrade. But Def check out LOgic. Peace

Last edited:
kaladaproductions said:
Hi,

I know you hate when you ask a simple question and people dance around the answer. Telling you $1000.00 is not enough doesnt help you. I what kind of music will you be making?

Hi,

I know you hate when you ask a simple question and people dance around the answer. Telling you $1000.00 is not enough doesnt help you. what kind of music will you be making? If anything look for a decent sound library to start. Go with something that gives you a decent range of sounds to work from. I like NI instrument stuff so check them out. You want to invest in a nice sequencer. Since your using a mac look at LOGIC. The sound that come in it are pretty decent. As for a mic and pre amp you should talk to a music store rep. You see you cant afford a $1000 mic, and when you ask guys here for some reason they only give the most expensive gear as recomendations, which really makes no sense but this is FP. so you have to build your setup around what you can afford and upgrade. But Def check out LOgic. Peace
If its just one mic for vocals, acoustic guitar etc get:
M-Audio 410 used = $250
Rode NT1000/2000/2/2-A used = $240-400
And moving/removal blankets as treatment = a few for maybe $50-100
obviously a pop filter and shockmount... any type of stand that holds the mic

and youre good to record

Try out different software packages before buying... see what ones suits you best. Theres trial versions out there - Id recommend Logic for mac but try it out before buying. Im positive its about $150. I got it twice free with hardware

Last edited:
Paze said:
Try out different software packages before buying... see what ones suits you best. Theres trial versions out there - Id recommend Logic for mac but try it out before buying. Im positive its about $150. I got it twice free with hardware

$150 gets you Logic Express.....Logic Studio is $499. I just purchased Logic Studio last week and it's a effin beast.

I've heard there are many drawbacks to Logic Express. You can read about them if you do a search in the DAW section of this forum.

There is also a academic version of logic studio (not sure how much that is) but the only drawback is that you can't upgrade with it. Meaning you will have to pay FULL price when an upgrade is available instead of paying $199 or whatever the amount is

Last edited:
Glenn Kuras said:
Have you looked at any set up? Have you done any research at all?

Glenn

jejeje glenn dont be so hard on the kid please !:rolleyes: and by the way kid do us all a favor and study some more

go to auralex.com and click the acoustics 101 tab on the top right. it's the best acoustics manual i've found. I built an amazing studio using those guidlines.

hey man back at u bout the setup get a blue mic the bluebird,and as for a mic pre get the new presonus studio channel in combo their bout 600.plus get the e-mu 1212v2 soundcard thats bout 150 bucks and the a/d converters are the same on the protools hd 192 io interface

Back