Building my studio from the ground up...

kang

Hi there guys...

This will be a simple question to answer for you experts... i hope!

Basically i'm moving house soon and in the new house there are a few offices that we dont need so my parents said i can convert one into my studio :D

We are gonna get it sound proofed professionaly etc etc. I'm gonna start an online diary once work starts.

The reason i'm creating this thread is because i need to know how big my vocal booth should be? Please see below a rough floorplan of my room...

lab_size.jpg

Please be aware that my desk is approx 2.5M wide and 1M long/deep.

I also want to have some soft furnishings e.g. sofa's in the lab as well.

Personally i was thinking of having my vocal booth 1.6M long/deep. What do you think?

EDIT - This isn't going to be a mickey mouse project, its gonna get done properly. The reason i'm posting for help on here is because i'm having trouble finding studio designers in and around my area :(

I look forward to hearing you opinions.

Cheers.

Kang.

Last edited:
Half the room space (3 x 3.5m) could make a reasonably effective, if not rather small vocal booth *if* a good amount of broadband and low end absorption (not "foam") is properly applied. 1.6m x 1.6 is fat too small - You'd have resonant frequencies *inside* the fundamentals of the vocal range.

If you're going to make a "closet" booth, make one to put noisy equipment in instead.

Also - You might want to get "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest before you pound the first nail.

3x3.5? :O That cuts my room in half :( I didnt realise the vocal booth had to be so large.

I was hoping that a vocal booth 1.6x3.5 or perhaps even 2.5x3.5 would have been enough... lol

I'm definitely not gonna put any walls up until i've got more info and researched into this properly.

Is there anything else that can be done because my control room will shrink down a lot and it'll be tight... very tight when i have a lot of clients down & once i have some furniture put in.

Currently my bedroom is 3.6x3.6 and this weekend i had 6 people crammed into it including me and boy was it tight! I had 2 people clambered on my single bed and chairs scattered around the room and plus i had my mic set up in the middle of the room!

Last edited:
kang said:
3x3.5? :O That cuts my room in half :( I didnt realise the vocal booth had to be so large.

I was hoping that a vocal booth 1.6x3.5 or perhaps even 2.5x3.5 would have been enough... lol

I'm definitely not gonna put any walls up until i've got more info and researched into this properly.

Is there anything else that can be done because my control room will shrink down a lot and it'll be tight... very tight when i have a lot of clients down & once i have some furniture put in.

Currently my bedroom is 3.6x3.6 and this weekend i had 6 people crammed into it including me and boy was it tight! I had 2 people clambered on my single bed and chairs scattered around the room and plus i had my mic set up in the middle of the room!

well sounds like its time to move outta mommy and daddys, then work and get a bigger place to make a studio, i dont know of too many producers that are making money at their parents house using a spare bedroom, time to come up in the world, i say all this assuming that you are over 18, if not then i take it back, lol

U've got it wrong mate.

At the moment my studio equip is in my bedroom... at the new house i'm having my studio built from scratch.

We have a huge room, something like 40Mx40M, we've cut that in half and one half will become a snooker (billiards) room, lets call this room 1 and the other half will be called room 2.

Room 2 will be split into 2 rooms... one room will be my studio, lets call this room 3 and the other room will become a home cinema.. lets call this room 4.

Dont hate on me because my parents are behind me every step of the way and are helping me set up my studio and business. Dont look down on me coz i live with my parents... what the **** has it gotta do with you?

If you want the whole story about my studio(s) then here it is...

The first house we lived in i had my own studio space, not sound proofed but i had a 20ftx20ft room. I had set up a make shift vocal booth that did the job. We moved because we were approached by developers, they wanted to buy the land our house was on to build a bunch of smaller houses. We were given a year to move out after completion, we couldn't find a good enough house so we moved into a MUCH smaller house and this is the current place we are in at the moment and thats why my studio is also my bedroom.

Last month we found a new house, the right house and it has the space for everything we need including my studio.

Now... i'm glad my parents are behind me and helping me out with my music but building my studio is the only thing they are putting towards my music, my gear etc has all come out of my own pocket. Working **** jobs, crap pay etc etc. My parents might be rich but i'm like every other student... POOR! So lay off my case and do something with yourself.

Oh and by the way... i am over 18... infact i'm 22, not that its any of your business. When i've saved up enough money i'll move out but untill then i'm livin at home. Is that OK with you? Prick.

Last edited:
Move that door over also if it's actually to scale - You'll need 20" in each corner for bass trapping if you use standard-sized units.

Thanks for the replies people. Much appreciated.

I found a recording studio designer who does jobs for home studios. All of the other firms do strictly commercial studios :(

Hes coming down to the house on wednesday, i've made a note of your comments and i'll get him 2 sort out any plans he makes.

MASSIVE - the image isn't to scale mate, it was just a quick diagram i put together in paintbrush... lol

Back